1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82' xj750 maxim repairs.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bix, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Bix

Bix Member

Also here's a couple shots of them mounted. Really like the look n can't wait to have them working properly (fingers crossed)!

IMG_20190825_163052.jpg IMG_20190825_162357.jpg IMG_20190825_162403.jpg

Timbox likes this.
  2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I like the look of that! I am still fighting with my XS1100 but that is another thread. Love the bars and how you have shortened this bike up. I guess if I do that all new cables...it would be worth it.

Bix likes this.
  3. Bix

Bix Member

Thanks man! I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out so far. If I can just get these last few things sorted for the rest of summer I'll be stoked. Can't afford to throw any more money at it until winter time haha

4. Bix

Bix Member

After chasing the grey signal wire all the way back and it looking good ( i figured maybe i bumped it when i was putting thank on and off or something ), i wired in the old tach and it worked, so now im going to stop poking around my bike and start pointing to the tach. In response to some photos, its been pointed out that the brown wire in the tach (12v power) might have a cold solder inside of it, the white signal wire seems to have a very good one on it. Now my question is are those two wires married at all, would the brown wires connection interfere with the incoming pulses from the signal wire ? If so then that could be the culprit.

Im also going to call the salvage shop tomorrow and ask him if he tests all these parts prior, If not i think i saw a couple more laying around and maybe hell let me switch them and i can see if another one works.

worst case find one on ebay maybe and try my luck there with a swap.

anyway making progress, and cancelling posibilities out which seems like a good thing!

5. Bix

Bix Member

https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/xs1100-tach-swap.8405/

i came across this link just now while doing research and it seems im not the only one. So maybe it wont work without some wizardry. Not sure what the guy meant by calibrating it though?

( he also had just plugged in the connectors since he had no movement at all )
    They do fit together but signal and power wire are reversed.

Also ive read a few times online about inline resistors to get tachs back to where the belong, has anyone had any experience with that sorta thing. I guess thats just for when a tach is bouncy but reading pretty accurately.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  6. Bix

Bix Member

Does anyone know what year Yamaha went from alternator signal to coil or does it vary by bike. Hoping to get back to salvage yard and maybe find another gauge that'll slip into this housing.

7. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think you are on the right track here, and I believe (others may know more) but the early 80's XJ650, XJ750, and XJ700's I believe all used the TCI signal to derive the tach signal . The XJ1100 and the XS1100 I believe both derive the tach signal from the AC Generator. I am clueless on the other XS series, but it may be any bike with the mid mounted AC Generator and subsequent reduction gearing that utilized the TCI signal.

The answer in that thread is a bit too simplistic and probably why the thread died unanswered. I looked at a XJ1100 tachometer and the difference in input frequency is quite dramatic, and it looks like the AC Generator utilizes a 12 pole winding. The result of that is the difference in tach signal frequency is six times higher for the alternator output signal compared to the TCI output signal, which would make the tach read off by a factor of six. I won't say it is not possible to re-scale the XS1100 tach, but it would be quite a science project to get it right.

Edit: removed 550 mechanical drive tach

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Bix likes this.
  8. Bix

Bix Member

Thanks for the info! An xj cluster / tach is definitely the route im going to go now. The more research i continue to do, im finding out the difference between the two is quite drastic as you have pointed out. I have the abilities to follow someones instructions and POSSIBLY figure out how to re wire the tach but i think for the time and money it would cost i should go a different route, and eat the 100 bucks i spent on the cluster and go with a different set up. Like i said id love to find a tach thatll fit the housing , not sure how consistent yamaha was with their gauge sizes but ill bring the tach and compare at the yards. I wont have time to hit up the two salvage yards we have here for another couple weeks but maybe ill be able to find one thatll fit the housing or just put a whole new one in now that the wiring is already all done. If anyones looking for an useless set of XS gauges for the xj let me know haha.

9. Bix

Bix Member

I've noticed the xj550 seca round gauges are similiar. Maybe the tach would match up dimension wise.

10. Bix

Bix Member

If I can't find any locally ill be buying some online. Does anyone have a 550 with round gauges that could toss me some dimensions of the tach? Would be a huge help!

Tia!

11. Bix

Bix Member

Or a tach for sale would be even better :)!

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

mechanical drive tach on the 550

13. Bix

Bix Member

Gahd dammit. Ok thanks. I saw a thread somewhere that the gauges look identical but some went to tci signal in like 82-83 or something but at this point I've read so much it's all blending together haha

14. Bix

Bix Member

The only tach ive found that seems similiar in size is an autometer one but it's for cars so no neutral light. I guess I could wire up one of the two indicators in the middle that I'm not using to be a neutral light, I do like the little green light in the gauge though.. Other colors are white and red.. not a huge fan haha

15. Bix

Bix Member

Im also shopping around for carb sync gauges and a colortune plug, does anyone recommend any manufacturers without breaking the bank? i understand a good tool is worth money, and i invest in them though. Lots of gauge sets online to purchase and not too familiar with them to know what one should cost for accuracy.

Do the gauges cut out the need to colortune or should both be done to ensure accuracy?

16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The colortune lets you see the fuel mixture as you adjust it. You can read the plugs instead, but that takes a lot more time and requires more practice to do correctly.

The vacuum gauges measure how much vacuum the pistons are pulling. They are seperate measurements, and you need both. You can get by with a homemade manometer, but check e-bay for a used set of stick gauges. IMO dial gauges have become plentiful and cheap, emphasis on cheap, so skip those for now.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Bix and Rooster53 like this.
  17. May_J_Aaron

May_J_Aaron Josh May

Check out Acewell!
    I installed one and they also have an adapter to convert your analog speed sensor to digital without using those magnets.
    I put it on my bike and it's very clean looking!
    I also switched out the Maxim tank for a Seca tank and Used the Acewell gauge to add the fuel sensor. Acewell has many variations to fit all kinds of bikes!
    I spent a long time researching this, so far I have everything working but haven't finished up the speed and RPM yet as my bike hasn't ran since tearing it apart and rebuilding so those are next up on the list in the near future.
    You can check them out on my profile
    This can help you get to the correct website quickly:
    http://www.acewell-meter.co.uk/Acewell Speedometers/ACE-MD52/index.htm

I think this was the Speed Sensor Adapter:
    http://www.acewell-meter.co.uk/Acewell Accessories and Sensors/Speed Sensors - Cable Drive/ACE-S1.htm?action=full&id=264

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  18. Bix

Bix Member

Thanks for the info, for now im still hoping to find a gauge thatll fit in the housing or just a new cluster all together. Not sure if id go the electronic route but good to know i have the option. I currently dont have a fuel gauge as the wires have been cut from the fuel sensor but im hoping itll work when i get around to it.

19. Bix

Bix Member

I also hope to find a seca tank for mine so i might also not even bother getting that to work until then. with the riding i do i just fill up every few rides, on long runs i just count my trip odometer. Not the first vehicle.. or the last ill have to do this with probably haha

20. May_J_Aaron

May_J_Aaron Josh May

If you have the wires, it'll work. It's powered by the gauge using the ohm resistance to show how much fuel is inside.

I've seen a post around here about tank compatibility per year and models, with that info I found someone on here selling their Seca tank. I then stripped and repainted it.

Bix likes this.