1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82' xj750 maxim repairs.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bix, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Bix

Bix Member

I haven't posted in awhile but I've been plugging along but made a bone head mistake. I didn't have much to do, at a stand still while the 750 seca tank is being prepped, and I put some air into my forks since the rebuild. I had a little pocket hand held bike pump and greatly mistook it's abilities haha. I put 4-5 strokes into the forks and then tested the pressure with a gauge at it was at 20 psi. I immediately drained them. I read the limit is 17.5 awhile back and now I have some minor oil residue on my forks after a good handful of full compressions. I removed the forks, and I was hoping maybe I could salvage the new oil seals by drying everything out, and creating a tight dry seal again? I ordered new oil seals in case it doesn't work out but they won't be here for a couple weeks. Has anyone ever done this. Can 3-4 psi really ruin the new oil seal and it's spring ?

Thanks in advance

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

oil does transfer to forks from seal. 17 psi is max if you did not ride bike like that probally no damage done

Bix likes this.
  3. Bix

Bix Member

Thanks man! So a little fork oil on the tubes is normal? There's none collecting around the seals or anything, just oil residue that'll leave your finger tip wet around the fork tubes. I did not ride the bike at all, filled, tested with gauge, then drained. Maybe I'm just over reacting.. which can be normal haha