1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

83 Suzuki GS650 bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by krussell, Dec 27, 2013.

1. krussell

krussell Member

I have posted pics of this bike on here before but here's a brief description. I had a stock 83 GS650L and tore it down to put a solo seat and different turn sginals/rear brake light, mufflers, etc on it. So I had a slightly custom bike at the time and about 3 days after i finished it up my cousin laid the bike down. Long story short I got the bike back in running condition and rode until late summer when I threw a rod bearing. Decided to yank to motor and do a frame job and go full custom, here's my progress so far.

Attached Files:

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

Nice going, how did you re-jet for pods & is it running smooth ?
    Not sure about turn signals on a 'bobber'.
    I have the same model bike, which I haven't started on yet, so looking at ideas.
    Have you seen this one ?GS 650

3. krussell

krussell Member

Mains were jetted up I believe 4 sizes by the time it was all said and done. Ran great for the most part. Had some bogging issues at highway speeds I think mostly from turbulence issues more than jetting. I used these "bullet" led turn signals http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... SY300_.jpg and ran them as running/turn signal lights. That streetfighter is pretty cool, I've always liked the Buell XB series bikes.

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

4 sizes seems a lot, that's the mains, I take it, what about the pilots ?

5. krussell

krussell Member

Pilots are stock

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hold on a sec. "Threw a rod bearing." What are you going to do for a motor? Are 1983 Suzukis 650s easier to find parts for than 1983 Yamahas?

Also, just one quick engineering note: the main reason motorcycles have suspension is so that they handle the road better, can respond to bumps without upsetting the handling, etc. NOT just for the increased comfort of the rider. You hardtailed the bike (so now it will handle just like a 1930's era bike) but added suspension for the rider alone. So now you won't get rattled as bad going over railroad tracks; but the bike won't have it any easier.

Not trying to pee in your cornflakes here; I'm just thinking this possibly wasn't too well thought out. The usual application for a monoshock conversion is the bike's suspension.

Interesting concept. Mod on.

7. Keith30

Keith30 Member

Never rode a hardtailed bike, but I'd imagine they handle horribly. Seems like the rear tire would hop all over the place at any road irregularity. Could be dangerous, especially if you hit a rough road in the middle of a corner. Seems like a lot of bikes are built to look cool and function is forgotten. I was watching a biker build show yesterday. The guy went with all foot controls and took it out for a short ride and almost crashed like 5 times. He told everyone that it rode like a dream...ok.

8. krussell

krussell Member

There is a salvage yard about 40 minutes from me so I'm going to buy a used motor from him.

I've already built an XJ650 hardtail with 5" barrel springs and had no problems with handling. It rides just about the same as a hartail but without the hard jolts of big bumps which is exactly what I'm going for here.

9. krussell

krussell Member

Hardtails do ride differently but they're not nearly as dangerous as you seem to think they are. This will be a fully functional bike so I'm not sure what the problem is. It will be a daily rider when it's all put together.

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Hardtails are still the suspension of choice for speedway racing.

If people keep hacking up...err modifying...motorcycles, the value of unmoested examples will go up due to scarcity (just as it has always been).

11. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

nice looking bike. but I am wondering why it is posted in the "xj mods" forum. shouldn't this be in the "other bikes" forum?

CN

12. bigfitz52

Truth be told, they're a LOT more dangerous than you seem to think they are.

13. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Maybe if you try to ride it like a sport bike. Keep in mind that most people that ride a hardtail bobber usually just cruise around and try not to slam into the twisties!
    However, it can be bad on the back. I would've done a softail mod with a leaf spring, hardtail looks but not hard on the tail. LOL

14. krussell

krussell Member

I actually didn't even know there was an other bikes section. I haven't been able to find a site like this for Suzuki owners so I just put it here. Sorry for the confusion.

15. krussell

krussell Member

If hard tails were so dangerous they would be illegal. And keep in mind I've been riding bikes for about 14 years and I'm not even 26 yet so over half my life I've been riding. I ride safe and don't plan on doing any track racing with this thing lol

16. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

I suspect Bigfitz can top you in the experience department.
    On a speedway track you have a pretty good idea that it is level,on the road not so much.
    Your bike your choices,if hardtails were so good why did they feel the need to invent rear suspension?
    Cosmetics versus function an age old argument.

17. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Thank goodness everything dangerous isn't illegal. There is (or should be) room for each of us to judge our own risk tolerance.

Having said that, the suspension isn't just for rider comfort. The suspension is also intended to keep the tire in contact with the road. Without suspension the tire will tend to hop on bumps, resulting in decreased reliability of traction. That makes the motorcycle inherently less stable and predictable. In other words, more dangerous than one that has proper suspension.

Yes, it probably won't be a problem at low speeds and/or on smooth surfaces.

18. bigfitz52

My point. VERY low speeds; 45mph is probably too fast.

Back when all motorcycles were hardtails, most had a maximum top speed of around 70mph; and most riding was done at 20mph ~ 40mph, if that. And most motorcycles weighed well under 500lbs; usually a lot less.

Normal "highway speed" these days is 55mph ~ 60mph; there are even some suburban boulevards with 50 or 55mph speed limits.

If you hit a set of even marginally maintained multiple railroad tracks at 50mph on a 500lb hardtailed bike, you probably won't be upright by the time you get across. One good bump in the middle of a turn and you'll be skipping down the road on your butt, even at 35mph.

Rear suspension evolved for a reason. Actually, a LOT of reasons. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt because they didn't think things through. From where I sit, "hardtailing" a 100mph+ motorcycle isn't thinking clearly.

19. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

20. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Maybe we should get rid of our old and outdated XJ's. I'm sure that they are now considered unsafe compared to the new technology. :lol: