1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

83 XJ550 seca starter troubles

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ctvolkers, Jul 26, 2018.

1. ctvolkers

ctvolkers New Member

posting here after my local garage burned down—-I’ve been having intermittent troubles with my bike starting that I had been attributing to the battery (reluctant/no start on cold mornings, failure to spark) that I’d generally been able to solve by tossing on the charger overnight. However, recently my bike had started a different sort of hard starting where the bike would turn over, fire for a second or two, then shut off. Usually I could goose the throttle and get it running, but the last few days I haven’t been able to get it going at all. Ideas ?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Some history about the machine would be helpful.
    How long have you had it, and what preventative maintainance has been done?

3. ctvolkers

ctvolkers New Member

Had it for a year and a half—-redid the carbs and fuel lines last year, got a new battery in May of last year

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

If it is Walmart battery you may need a new battery ..check fluid

5. ctvolkers

ctvolkers New Member

It’s the yuasa yb12a-a—-shouldn’t be a problem

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I'd start with checking the battery anyway..... your symptoms point right to it

Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Hook a voltmeter up to the battery posts. Make a note of what the voltage drops to when you push the starter button. Get back to us.

Jetfixer and Rooster53 like this.
  8. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The second or two might be longer than normal, but check out this description form Len in this post on the battery:

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-information-overload-hour.27544/

"3) if you run into this specific problem:

* "There were a few times when I cranked it, that it ALMOST started. It would start to fire immediately as I let off the start button. But it just wouldn't catch.

Then this is a symptom of a weak battery, due to any number of causes.......

What happens is that as the starter is being engaged, it gobbles up battery voltage. As soon as the start button is released, you now have full battery voltage available TO THE IGNITION CIRCUIT (including the pick-ups, the TCI, and especially the coils), and in that instant when you release the starter button, the coils get enough voltage to produce an adequate spark while the motor is still (by inertia) turning over. If everything is in a great state of tune, the bike will normally kick over. If not, you get the "almost fires" situation explained above, so.........

Test the battery voltage WHILE THE STARTER IS ENGAGED (a voltmeter across the + and - terminals of the battery is all that's needed). It should remain above 9.5 volts while the starter motor is engaged but without the engine running. If it drops below that level while the starter is active, then that's the "problem", and the cause of that problem must be determined and remedied (usually a sign of a bad battery, or it could be a incredibly problematic starter motor)."

If the battery checks out then check out the fuse box if it has not already been upgraded. It is known to cause all sorts of electrical issues and can cause starting issues from excessive voltage drop:

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/your-fuse-box-a-ticking-bomb-by-rick-massey.2210/

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/how-to-install-an-aftermarket-fuse-box.6350/

And since you did not mention a valve check in the history:

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/airhead-valve-adjustment-with-pics.14827/

Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  9. hogfiddles

That's exactly why I said I would START with checking the battery :)

10. ctvolkers

ctvolkers New Member

Alright gang, thanks for all of the helpful suggestions---update. I realize I was a bit stand-offish earlier when you suggested checking the battery, but after testing and seeing I wasn't getting a full charge off it, I went ahead and replaced the battery. I also did the aftermarket fuse box project to switch it to blade style fuses. Buttoned her back up, hit the starter button---nothing. Well, the oil level light turns on, but no start, no turning over. Further ideas?

11. hogfiddles

Side stand switch is sticky? After side stand is up, rech down and see if you can pull the tip of it out any farther

12. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well, this is a new failure, correct? The bike starter was working before, just not starting.

Was anything else done other than the fuse box and battery, relays pulled, other wiring etc?

The safety circuit for the starter is:

In neutral OR in gear with side stand up and clutch pulled in. If you put the bike in gear and have a working clutch and side stand switch you can listen to hear if the starter cutoff relay is actuating. You can do the same thing with neutral but the gear mechanism makes a bit of noise making it harder to hear the relays.

So for starter cutoff relay put the bike in gear side stand up. Pull the clutch in and you should hear the starter cutoff relay energize.

For the ignition cutoff relay put the bike in gear with the side stand down. Lift the side stand and you should hear the ignition cutoff relay energize.

13. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Start solenoid , have you tried jumpering it? or been replaced?