1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 xj700 maxim starter button not working

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hohenstein23, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

if it's blowing like that, and fast, i suspect something is going to a ground. time to start tracing.

2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

The purpose of the fuse is to prevent too much power to a component. Also, a fuse will blow if the power is correct but the fuse is not rated to carry said power. Is it the correct fuse for the application? And yes, go through and clean all connections (including the important ground connections). There should be a diode block in the cluster/bucket which functions to keep current flow isolated and in one direction. If it fails there could be current flowing to components it shouldn't.
    Hope this helps.

Gary H.

3. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

I just figured out why it was not getting spark. The box on the handle bars where the kill switch is. One of the wires connected to the kill switch was pinch by the screw and the bare wire was touching it. So I fixed that up and put a fuse in and got spark to all 4. Tommorow I plan on trying to locate the starter problem. Thanks for the help

Urra likes this.
  4. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

Nice!

5. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

And..... That will definitely do it! Be glad it was an easy fix...

6. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

IMG_20141223_181039.jpg IMG_20141223_181025.jpg IMG_20141223_181039.jpg IMG_20141223_181025.jpg

7. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

I only have one pigtail coming off it and some other pictures I saw 2 pig tails coming off.

8. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

Mine has two on both bikes.

9. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

The place where it has the pigtail comin off. It has 2 terminals. One has the wire coming in the picture. The other one is connected to the big black turminal on top.

10. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

I have a plug that was not plugged in. I think it is to the fuel sensor because the old owner cut the wires on the sensor on the tank. The plug has 2 wires. Do you guys have any idea what I could do like wire a pig tail

11. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

well, you could get pretty much any type connector you want and join the wires, or you can probably order the correct yamaha one somewhere. i just use connectors and go for it, marking what the wires go to if it's real bad.

12. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

Ok good to know. But i am not sure if it is plug is for the solenoid or the fuel sensor. Could i just hook the wires to the plug and check or could that short something out

13. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

Long as you had + to + and - to - i would think you'd be fine.

14. darnchr02

darnchr02 New Member

my xj700 has started the same kind of thing. sometimes the starter button works sometimes it doesnt and sometimes it sticks and the oil light stays on but nothing. I normally can get it to work after playing with it so im guessing mine is dirty and needs to be cleaned up but havent had the time just yet to take it apart and find out

15. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

I have fixed the problem. I did some testing and the trigger wire always had power. I messed with switch and tested that and make sure that was all good. I bought another new solenoid and it did not work. Then i decided to just switch the power and ground on the solenoid and it work. cant believe i did not think of that earlier. Thanks for all the help

Urra likes this.
  16. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

good to hear you got it sorted! Sometimes, it's the simple things that are a reeeeeeeeeeeal pain.

17. Urra

Urra Member

Wow... I've been having this issue with my recent XJ! Awesome thanks for the thread!