1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

86 XJ700 Brake Bleed issue Resolved

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 78dave, Feb 4, 2018.

1. 78dave

78dave New Member

So I really struggled with something that should be as simple as any putting air in tire. I could not get the brakes to bleed. I started doing this as I would any brakes with the handle and opening and closing the bleeder. Eventually the handle could pump up the brakes but never hold pressure. I was pretty sure the MC was rebuilt correctly so I used a vibratory sander and tied the brake lever tot he grip and left it over night. Nothing! So I decided to reverse bleed it and still no change. I even finished the trifecta with a vacuum bleed and no change. Then I decided to reverse bleed again and notice a drip or two coming out of the MC piston near the brake lever. Odd for sure so I pulled the MC and checked it and all was correct. really hard to roll those seals. But something seemed odd as I could pump up the pressure but as soon as I let go of the handle the pressure was gone - Bright light - source of problem found. I notice the lever adjustment screw allowed too much play and was allowing the MC piston to come all the way back to the retention clip and thuus releasing the pressure. I screwed int he adjusted to remove some play and quicky I had pressure holding on the lever.

I had searched the forums but no one mentioned this. Now I know that that adjustment screw can cause the pressure to release at least for my XJ. The cir-clip is in place correctly and you can rotate it in the slot and the dust boot fits perfectly so the piston is locked to not return too far.

So I have a correct lever pressure finally and brakes! All good.

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Very interesting........