1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

86 XJ700 Maxim-X Cam chain Tensioner and valve adjustment

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by smurf667, Mar 15, 2011.

1. smurf667

smurf667 Member

Firstly, Can anybody tell me, is the 86 Maxim-X 700 fitted with an automatic or manual cam chain Tensioner?

If it's fitted with an automatic tensioner, how do I make sure it's tensioned properly, and working? OR if it's a manual tensioner, how do I tension the chain? I have no idea regarding the above at all, my knowledge is an absolute zero on it.

If it's an automatic Tensioner, would I be advised to remove it, and give it a good clean up, of so, how is this done, remembering my knowledge is zero?

Also advice on doing valve adjustment would be very helpful too please.

I've tried using the search facility on here but can find no info on the 86 700 Maxim-X. I can find some info on the 550, 600 and 650 and possibly the 750, but none for the 700.

I've also checked the Haynes website, and they don't do a book for the 86 Maxim-X 700, so can't get a workshop manual for it from them. Anyone tell me if there has been a workshop manual done for this model at all, by anyone, that I can purchase?

Thanks in advance

2. macros10

macros10 Member

Google "Clymer" manual and see if they have one out there for it. It's better to have that and a Haynes, but it's way better than nothing. Between that and the help you get here, you can probably do everything you need to do. And don't forget to check out Chacal and all his parts if you need, top right corner link XJ4ever. This schematic might help also:

parts shark

Hope that helps!

3. wizard

wizard Active Member

Auto.

4. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Well,

You have some options. For manuals and stuff, see the web site www.xjcd.org. Well worth the $10 bucks or so they charge for the CD.

In terms of stuff on this site....there's a lot of stuff for the Maxim-X. You just have to use the right search terms. For example, for a valve adjustment, try this one,

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1 ... alves.html

Finally, lots of good info at www.maxim-x.com. Only problem with the maxim-x.com site is that it's pretty static. The owner doesn't update it all that often and it's not interactive like this site.

5. smurf667

smurf667 Member

Thanks for the info Guys.

@macro10 I checked Clymer to see if they did a manual, but they don't, but I'll keep searching for one.

@artie(RT) getting the XJCD for definite, and thanks for the link, that was very helpful. I use Maxim-X.com quite a bit for info, and also keep in touch with the guy that runs it too, via email, it was actually him that put me onto this site.

Am I correct in what I've read elsewhere on the site, that once it's all done, to reset the tensioner, I need to turn the motor over forward 2 complete revolutions, and then turn it over backwards quickly 1 complete revolution, via the bolt on the left hand side, where the pick up coils are, and also get the Carbs rebalanced?

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Rebalancing the carbs doesn't need to follow a cam chain adjustment.

It WOULD need to follow a valve adjustment.

Clymer doesn't offer a manual for the "X" series, nor does Haynes. You'll need a factory book: http://www.repairmanual.com/online/offi ... 616-xj-00/ I'm not recommending these folks as a source; check with chacal or start trolling eBay.