1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

900 TANK MK 1V

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wizard, May 11, 2011.

1. wizard

wizard Active Member

For those that can remember the problems I had with the '85 900 tank, some PO had filled it with epoxy to seal leaks & I had to cut the top out of the tank to get the c*** out, I then soldered the 'lid' back on, it never quite sealed & the gas spoiled the paint, I then made the tank rack to tidy it up but eventually had to repair it. This time I cut a 2mm ally plate 1/2" bigger all round & self tapped the plate inside the tank, using 'Three Bond' as a gasket, (screws at 20mm c/c), I put some gas in there & inverted the tank overnight, all OK, I used 2 pack bondo to form the shape & finished it in the normal way, fingers xed that it holds up this time, I don't think I could face fix MK V.

2. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Dammit wiz.... every time you post up pics of your projects...it makes me want one again
    Then my back account tells me no ....

Nice job in the resurrection of the tank,.....
    As always :)

3. Alive

Alive Active Member

WOW.. Nice work

4. webgringo

webgringo New Member

Nice work

Question 1, i have as well an 85, do they have the same issue with the tank as the rusted 83 ?

Question 2, didnt have the headlight on when i bought it, and aint showin in the manual. There is holes in it top and bottom under speedometer more or less. Size of a golfball maybee. What are these "fore" ?

Supposed to have some covers on em, or all the electrical is going on inside of headlight ?

5. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

The rusting problem occurs because the tap is higher than the rear of the tank so when you get water in the tank it just sits there until it rusts through...it pays to turn the tank upside down from time to time :wink: