1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

900 tank

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wizard, Aug 25, 2011.

1. wizard

wizard Active Member

After a long search I found a sound tank for the 900, with the help of Alive in NZ. The tank went through the cleaning process & then sealed using the KBS product. I think I can paint these tanks in my sleep, now.[​IMG]

2. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

Love the paint job and well done with the tank. Did you get any before pics?
    Al

3. iandmac

iandmac Member

Nice job Wiz, I'd be keen to see some pics as well .. I've got a pretty sick 900 tank awaiting "the treatment"

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

not much to see, really, outside the tank just had a couple of small dings to fill, then I use a 2 pack primer. Inside wasn't rusty, it had a thin coat of laquer, which just flaked off & was a bitch to get out of the tank, the KBS kit comes with a cleaner, acid etch & sealer.

5. iandmac

iandmac Member

There's a local bloke that sells the KBS kits and he swears by them. Mine's got a couple of rust pinholes that will need fixing and I'm thinking of brazing then soldering them the way they do that car tank in the video on the KBS website. Someone's had a couple of goes at it before and I expect when the paint, epoxy putty, old solder, etc come off it will be a whole lot worse than it looks now.

Did you strip the tank or blast it?

6. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

I've done 2 x 750(seca type) tanks now with the KBS tank sealer and both turned out a charm.

One had water in it and was the spare and the other had epoxy sealer keeping the fuel at bay, I did weld(ahem.. braze) the holes at the rear of that one before starting the sealing process though.

I never realised that paint stripper from the hardware store would take the external paint off so well... makes sanding and messing about with the original paint very redundant.

When it's stripped back to metal you know where you stand.

7. wizard

wizard Active Member

The paint wasn't too bad, just a crazed, so I rubbed it down some with 240 W&D then shot the 2 pack primer, this stuff goes off rock hard & encapsulates the tank, just W&D with 600 & it's smooth as.........

8. iandmac

iandmac Member

What's the brand of the 2 pack primer/paint and did you top it with a fuel proof clear? I've tried the clear enamels out of the spray paks but the fuel gets them eventually. I know absolutely zip about spray paints.

9. Alive

Alive Active Member

Sweet... I had a feeling you'd have no problem working you magic on it :)

10. wizard

wizard Active Member

Go to your local auto paint supplier & get the 'house' 2 pack primer, it stops all bad reactions, it has to be applied with a spray gun, though.
    Yes the tank is finished with 2 pack clear, over the basecoat & decals.
    Rattle can primers & paints just don't cut it, the laquer will still pick up lint in a month.