1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A Poll on the ages of XJBikes Members

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by BluesBass, Dec 16, 2013.

?

What is your age?

1. Under 18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 18-25

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. 26-30

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. 31-39

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. 40-49

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. 50-59

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  7. 60-69

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

I was reading through beanflicker_98's topic about drinking and driving/riding, and Kilted_to_the_Max(im) brought up an interesting musing, and something I think would be an interesting survey of the XJBikes members: what are the ages of XJBikes members?

I'd be interested to know when everyone found this site, and how long everyone has been a member. I'd guess that, with the age and style of these bikes, we will have an age spread with some younger riders (25 and under), a moderate number of adult riders (26-40), many adult experienced riders (41-60) and a decent number of older riders (60+).

------------------------------------------------------

So going first, I'm 26, started riding when I joined the forums three years ago in November 2010, and the XJ/XV bikes appeal to me because of the pure mechanical simplicity of them: two wheels, purely mechanical carburetors (no TP sensor, injectors, variable cam timings, ABS, etc) - and of course because of the beautiful looks of the Maxim, Seca and Virago bikes. I love that they are all-around comfortable and multipurpose bikes (can be ridden as a cruiser, sport, or touring bike) and the people who ride bikes of this era seem to be the friendliest and least judgemental of bikers on the road.

2. moellear

moellear Member

Same age as John. I got my first motorcycle, the orange XJ650, fall of 2008 back near my hometown from a sorry fella who was going through divorce issues and had to move. Never ridden a 2-wheeled motorized bike in my life at that time, so needless to say I put many miles circling my parents large backyard out in the country before hitting the slab. It was always a brave accomplishment shifting up into the next year as I was afraid it would take off from underneath me :) Also put some work into it and discovered this site which I've made good connections with via messaging or phone conversations for help. I can't thank some of these guys enough.
    Since then I've purchased the 550 which is my daily rider (during better weather obviously!)

3. JohnStonePhoto

JohnStonePhoto Member

Just turned 50...been riding for 35 years. Fist bike was a Honda trail 70 if you don't count the Sears Scooter...Like above, love the XJ for the simple 123 go no go mechanical simplicity...and still faster than my neighbors $30K 110 Screaming Eagle Harley.

4. sanglasmick

sanglasmick Member

I was 50 in March last. Riding since 1972. First bike a Puch 45cc moped.

Always loved the sound of the XJ motors, had my first XJ650 at 21 years old but seized it through lack of maintenance and over exuberance!

My latest XJ750A a Japan only model, bought this year and now running very well thanks to the forum members.

Lost count of the number of bikes over the years, always had something to tinker with.

5. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

I'm 56. Started riding mini bikes and 3-wheelers when I was about 12. My first road bike was a '75 Jawa CZ 175. Top speed - 60 mph. Next bike was a '81 Honda 400. Sold it after 3 years to buy a house. Didn't ride again until '05 when I bought the Maxim. Mid-life crisis I guess. Followed this site for about a year before I joined. Can't remember how or why I came across it. Sure glad I did though.

6. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

54 here...bought a new '78 Honda XL350 back when I was in The Marine Corps stationed in Southern California. Left The Corps, went to college, met my wife, got married, had kids, raised said kids, started my own business and a customer asked if I'd take a bike in partial trade ('82 XJ750 Maxim).
    Didn't know anything about motorcycles other than the fact I enjoyed riding in my late teens/early twenties...found this site and visit almost every day! Thanks to all who contribute!

7. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

68 and proud of it! Got my first Cushman at age 14. Out of necessity I learned how to work on it and even rebuilt the engine several times. Also, learned to a lot about bike safety on that relatively slow scooter--probably 50 mph down hill. Started my love affair with bikes and working on them. There's nothing like hearing an engine come to life after working on it, and especially after doing a rebuild. As an added benefit, I learned how to appreciate the engineering that goes into a machine, and therefore I have never abused any machine, bike, car or otherwise. One of the best lessons I ever learned, and it has given me a lot of satisfaction and fun over the years, not to mention saving a lot of money on repairs.

8. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

I'm 49, born in 1964. First bike was a lime green Honda QA50 in 1975. Went up to a Honda Elsinore 50 - then Suzuki 80 - then a Yamaha YZ125. Parents wouldn't let me or my brothers get a street bike. Last rode my 125 in 1980.
    2002 got a 81 Honda CB750. 2005 got ride of CB750 and got my Yamaha XJ700.
    Haven't been able to ride in 1 & 1/2 years due to medical problems.

9. aSECAwrencher

aSECAwrencher Member

I've been lucky enough to make it 32 trips and little more around the sun. Been riding for 12 years now with around 50k miles on two wheels. First bike was an 1980 Yam 850SG. Had a Triumph Daytona 600 for a while, but can't get away from the old Japanese makes. Once again, something about form and function that these bikes just seem to have just right.

10. Newb21

Newb21 Member

I'm 31, been on bikes since my legs were long enough to reach pillion footpegs, got my first bike 3 years ago. Never really needed transport living a 10 minute walk from my job, which happened to be across the road from my local pub lol.

First bike was/is a Virago 125 (being advertised for sale, spare or repair) when that died I decided to start saving for my DAS. Got given an XJ550 & CBX750 both in pretty sorry states, cosmetically but mechanically should be pretty sound, so in theory by the time I've done my DAS the XJ should be MOT'd and road worthy :)

11. Pazalas

Pazalas Member

Im 38. Been riding since I was 6., first was a honda 110 3 wheeler. most interesting was a 175 Kawi street and trail 2 stroke with the carb on the crank.(too young to have a licence then). first street bike is my xj550. Got it about 7-8 years ago. Was sitting in a field for 6 years. Been riding it for 4 :) . Got the 750 a year ago.

12. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

48, riding since the mid 80's with a 1974 Honda CB360. Then went without for years due to business commitments until a couple years ago when I got the XJ650 I had been looking for.

13. fishinchickens

fishinchickens Member

19, My first memory of my dads seca was sitting under a tarp in the barn Mom used to bug him about getting rid of it due to my brother and I being born, sure glad that he didn't. After I turned 16 dad let me pull it out and start trying to get it running. Having no true knowledge, I fiddled for about two years and finally found you all. With that being said, I quickly got it running and registered it. Sure makes for a sweet first bike!

14. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

32.5, found the site & joined whenever it says over there <- Got my licence coming up 15 years ago, had a Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (blush!) at first then went to cars but been back on 2 wheels for 7 years or so now...

15. iam13x

iam13x Member

36, started out with an old honda 50 at about age 9 or 10. Have always had a dirr bike growing up. My first solo on a street ride was on my brothers 1988 Vmax. I was hooked after that lol. That bike taught me alot! Ended up here and with my 650 after not riding for awhile and then taking the father in laws 750 shadow for a week.

16. z32800

z32800 Member

53 and just got back into riding February this year after a 25 year break. First bike in 1976 was a Suzuki AC50; love the XJ!

17. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

I'm 36 and been riding on the street for 4 years now. I rode some friends' dirt bikes and 4wheelers when I was younger but never had one of my own due to an over-protective mother. I decided to start riding because my buddy got a bike and my dad started riding again after a 20 year hiatus. Plus with the rising price of gas I thought it could save me some $$.
    After searching CL for several weeks for an inexpensive first bike, I found a 83 midnight maxim. I instantly fell in love with it. It wasn't the prettiest bike but I figured for my first bike, cosmetics wasn't too important. I really liked the cruiser styling mixed with high revving 4 cylinder performance and standard upright seating position. The bike just seemed to fit me like a glove. I figured it'd be pretty easy to learn to work on it as well. So I bought it.
    Now 4 years and 18k miles later, I love my maxim more than ever...and it's because of the knowledge I've gained from the people on this forum and the satisfaction of working on my own bike that really makes riding a life changing experience.

18. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

65 years old.

19. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

30, started on the dirt around 18 I bought my first bike 01 ktm sx 125. A few years later I got a street bike. 82 xj550. After many broken bones sold the ktm. The last bone was in my foot and the xj sat for the 18 month it took to heel. With the bike sitting that's when it started having problems which led me to find this site.

20. taz1960

taz1960 New Member

53, First legal bike,when you got your licence here at 15, a new gt125 Suzuki,then a Yamaha 72 xs650,since all sorts from Triumph to Kawasaki, Have a 82 xj650rj now and am very happy it is all you need.That and my little klt 200 trike for the beach. :D