1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Acceleration Noise/Vibration

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by sybe, Aug 3, 2020.

1. tx1

tx1 New Member

Thank you all for the info you are a clever lot will go with the replacement drive and let you know if there is any problems with the unit, shame the postage is so much between the USA and the UK great prices over there for the same unit.

2. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

I am probably 3 sheets to the wind but, fark... what the hell am I looking at?
    I know from my 750 and 900 that they both have a solid drive shaft that push into the final drive... what the hell is the little spigot and nutt and washer I am looking at?
    Forgive my lack of understanding. :)

3. tx1

tx1 New Member

OK, here we go when you take the shaft out of the swinging arm you should end up with this,

20200917_171626.jpg

When you pull the shaft from the hub you will find the compression spring that sits inside the 22mm spanner size nut that threads onto the middle shaft inside the hub(still don't know what is called) I take it this all keeps the shaft centralised and compressed you will know if the spring has snapped or the shaft broke its not a nice noise but you will still have the drive to the rear wheel

20200917_170351.jpg
    above the spring ,nut should be a 4mm washer and the broken thread off the drive. I am 4 sheets to the wind but I hope it helps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

FWIW the other part number differences on the final drives (across all Yamaha shafties) mostly have to do with the placement and type of rear shock mount. For example: the first-gen Viragos don't have a lug to mount a shock to, but instead have a bolt for the upper leg of the swingarm. The gearing an internals are otherwise identical to the final drives on the XJ series with just a few exceptions.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    tx1 likes this.
  5. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Ahh!
    Yes in the light of day. Makes sense now! Thanks for the pics.