1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aftermarket Exhaust Suggestions - No re-jetting Required

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Recordless, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Scottie1

Scottie1 Active Member

I have no idea LOL i just went to a second hand Harley shop and he had hundreds laying around i just picked up the best one i could see.

2. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member Premium Member

In the US, pretty much your only option is Mac or Kerker. If you shop on eBay UK or look on Webike your options will multiply greatly. Be ready to pay a bit for shipping.

3. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Active Member

I used a pair of slash-but Dyna shorties on my 4-into-2, but there are a couple of mods needed.
    The reducer needed was simply cut off the front of the old previous mufflers (not OEM, but they were a replacement system that were near enough identical to the stock set) and used as a packing piece on the inlet of the Dyna mufflers.
    When the mufflers were on the Dyna, to suit the differing characteristics of each cylinder and the unequal lengths of pipe on the Harley, the internal baffle plate on each muffler is placed differently. I solved this by removing them and rigging up a temporary spacer equally set on each side to match them in for my use. Said spacer holds back a stainless steel pot scourer internally, and forces the gases through the silencing slots and into the deadening material. Some also goes right through the pot scrubber and exits in a free-flowing manner, but as it's doing so down a tube lined with baffling holes backed with more deadening material, it does so quite quietly.
    Fastening the mufflers was quick and dirty - I just used car exhaust clamps at the front *ugly but effective* and I'll try a different solution some other time.
    The mounting of the muffler bodies was easy - a pair of stainless steel hose clamps round the muffler bodies and locating over the lower portion of the alloy footpeg bracket there. This is on an XJ900F, so other models probably don't have that handy feature.
    The overall result is quite pleasing - the bike pulls as well as it ever did, and is nearly as quiet as stock. If I want to make it a bit noisier I can unbolt the scouring pad retainers and move them back or even reduce the size of stainless pad.

The best part is; the mufflers cost about two bucks. :D

4. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

I've been looking for mufflers off and on... anyone know the outlet diameter of my 75o Seca collector?
    I'm too lazy to take it off and measure myself. :rolleyes:
    Besides, there are newer gaskets there so why disturb them I'm thinking....