1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aftermarket side panels?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by PlzHelp, Mar 1, 2019.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

2. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

Some 3D printers have built in scanners. My last printer actually had one built in, but I sold that printer to a friend in order to buy one with a laser engraver instead since I barely used the scanner at the time. The most common 3D scanners though are standalone devices. To get a 3D model of the OEM panels, you would either need someone to scan the originals or recreate them in modeling software using measurements from the original. Either way, once you have the model you could print new ones all day long for $1 a piece.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

is the scaned format a universal fit for all printers ?

4. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

Should be. If not, 3D models are pretty easy to convert into any other format.

5. XJ75082

XJ75082 Member

How bad is your tank rusted. What locations are rusted?
    I've done a lot of thin sheet metal repair. Patching a cleaned & purged out tank isnt difficult. Tig welds being the best but mig welds will do just as good.

6. XJ75082

XJ75082 Member

Is there a mirror option in the program of the printer?
    If so, there is the right side cover plate. Scan left, mirror, print right.

I've looked at them close and noticed the 82 has a radius from the outer edge toward the inner triangle. Along with a radius across the entire cover panel.

I can fab the panels but not the radius (lack of equipment) aluminum diamond plate or lexan is looking like a better option over finding replacements.
    img_AWFug7wAM8NPh0v_r.jpg

7. Brian Abel

Brian Abel New Member

My XJ700 is missing the panel on the left side of the bike (kickstand side). I just bought the bike from a friend of mine and I’m working on getting it running. I can’t figure out how to get the panel on the right side off. Doesn’t the battery get replaced/serviced by just taking the seat off?

I’m very new with all of this.

8. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

The panel on the right side only hides a small storage area. The panel pulls straight off, same for the right. Examine the way the left panel would mount. Be careful to not pull/rock one end drastically more than the other as you can break the tab/s off the cover.

9. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Some probably lost side covers because the rubber grommets holding them on (at least on my XJ550) cracked, and the covers fell off.

I replaced the rubber grommets, and now I have to be careful not to break the pegs when removing. As stated, the right side is off and on more as the battery is on that side. Likely it is therefore broken more.