1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Another Valve Clearance Check Question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, May 27, 2014.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I need to check my valve clearances so I've been reading over the thread explaining the process and looking through parts from chacal. I have some questions:

1. The write-up mentions using non-magnetic tools to get the shims out but chacal sells a magnetic shim retrieval tool. This confuses me. So, does it matter if magnetic tools are used?

2. Is it better to get the feeler gauges with the 90 degree angled ends or is it fine to use the straight ones?

3. chacal sells a crankshaft nut wrench and says it's hard to find. What is special about it and will an open end wrench of the appropriate size work?

4. If I find adjustments are needed, is there any way not to be down for a week or two before getting the shims I need from chacal? I hate losing riding time.

5. Finally, chacal sells oem and aftermarket shims. Does it really matter which ones I get?

Thanks for all the info.

Stacy

2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

IMHO
    Non-magnetic is best, you run the risk of magnetizing the shim with a magnet. This in turn will attract metal fines that can become abrasive to the cam lobes.

Straight feeler gauges work, some swear by metric. I use a set that is standard and has half thousandths.

I believe it is a 19mm wrench, I use a 3/4" but am very careful to be 'gentle' with it so as not to round corners.

Aftermarket or OEM, I have found no difference. Check around your neighborhood. Here in Milwaukee there is a place (The Shop) that specializes in earlier Japanese bikes/ vintage and cafe racers. They have shims that bailed me out last week. I heard that Kawasaki uses the same diameter (29mm) shims and a local Kawi shop might have them.

Good luck!

P.S. IBF :D

3. Gary650

Gary650 New Member

2014 klr650 Kawasaki uses 29mm shims. Measure the thickness. There are variations in sizing. A digital caliper will get this done. You want to make sure you get it right.

4. Gary650

Gary650 New Member

Also, I use an Allen wrench attachment to my ratchet to turn the crank.

5. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

..... uuuh, for the bolt in the middle? That holds the plate to your crankshaft, you don't wanna touch that one. Get an open 19mm wrench, or use an adjustable wrench on the square lip of the timing plate.

6. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

12pt socket works best, IMHO.

7. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

8. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Thanks for all the responses. They were all very helpful. Now just to find the time to do it.

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

RE: #4: I've never had it take more than 2 ~3 days to get parts from Len.

10. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

Also, depending on the last time the valve cover was removed, you may need a new valve cover gasket and the pressure washers for the valve cover screws. I found it easier to remove the horn when removing the valve cover. I would recommend a true metric feeler gauge when checking clearances. Don't trust the first measurement. I would repeat the process at least twice in checking all the valves. I use a 19mm box wrench to turn the crankshaft and a very large nylon zip tie to hold the valve open to remove and replace a shim. I use medical forceps that are not magnetized for shim removal and replacement. Once you have replaced the all the shims you had specified as out of spec, then you will want to go back through and recheck clearance at least 2 times.
    One thing to realize is if you have a valve with clearance out of spec, you will have to remove the shim and read the number on the bottom of the shim in order to know what shim you will need to put it in spec.

hope this helps

11. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

bigfitz52, the only time I've ordered from chacal it took exactly one week from when I placed the order (on a Monday) to when it arrived at my door (following Monday). I'm not complaining. I thought that was pretty good especially since it went USPS. I'm sure I could have paid for faster shipping but again, I'm not complaining about chacal's ship times. I was just wondering if there were any suggestions like buying locally or something that could eliminate downtime. Thanks for the write up by the way. It's gonna be my guide for completing this task.

BruceB, thanks for the tips. Everything is helpful.

12. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

I feel your pain - as mentioned I drove 15 minutes to get my shims and installed them the same day - waiting is the hardest part!

Chacal/ Len is a sure thing, the wait is worth it or you can pay a little extra for Priority service.

The Yamaha Parts place in Fargo (I think that is close to you) shows that they carry them. They are $19.00 each there.

13. Gary650

Gary650 New Member

Thanks for the info on using an allen wrench on the center of the timing plate. I guess I have been incredably lucky so far. Now that I know better I'll make sure not to press my luck. Thanks again...

14. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's a 19mm (3/4") square. Just be careful not to crash into the ignition pickups.

There are drawbacks to the "zip-tie" method; if you must, use a piece of nice "soft" #12 insulated house wire.

See: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=29209.html

But I still do and recommend doing it Yamaha's way, using the bucket hold-down tool. The alternate method can require three hands sometimes.

15. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Stumplifter, yeah, Fargo is about 40 minutes from me. I suppose I could go there and pick some up if I need them. That would save the wait.