1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Anyone have a full list of XJ models?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by faffi, Jul 22, 2022.

1. faffi

faffi Active Member

This list is fairly comprehensive https://www.autoevolution.com/moto/yamaha/xj/

However, I am missing several versions:
    XJ900N naked
    XJ750F faired like the 85-on 900F
    XJ750R sports tourer
    XJ750D-2 (same as 650 turbo, but without turbo)
    XJ750X MAXIM
    XJ750 MAXIM GEN 1
    XJ750 MAXIM GEN 2
    XJ700X MAXIM
    XJ550 MAXIM
    XJ550 SECA US version with 1/4 fairing and single front disc brake
    XJ500
    XJ400 SECA
    XJ400 MAXIM

Do you know of more that I have missed, or have found errors in the link (other than the picture of the 1985-on XJ 900) or my list?

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. faffi

faffi Active Member

Read the overview, and it seems to me mostly complete. Well, for USA it is complete. Also include bikes I did not know about, like the police versions, and the fuel injected 750 for Japan. If the 650 Seca models had YICS in USA, that is also news to me. They definitely lacked that in Europe, but the 750 Seca had YICS.

I missed, either from not observing it, or because it is missing, the sport touring version of the 750 Seca that came with full fairing, saddlebags and top case stock. Also, as far as I know, the XJ400 died in the 80s and was followed by the XJR400 in the 90s and beyond, but I am open to being wrong. XJ400s sold in USA were twins that were called XS400 in Europe (as the list notice), the XJ400 sold elsewhere was an inline four ,and the bike I know about ,virtually identical to the XJ550.

Also lacking from the overview, from what I can see, are the XJ900S Diversion, the XJ600N and XJ600S Diversion (XJ600S Diversion known as Seca II in USA), and the XJ6-series (FZ6 in USA, but I believe you only got one version).

4. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

The USA 650 Seca (XJ650RJ, silver) *did not* have YICS.

The red Canadian 650 Seca *did* have YICS.

I have seen a red YICS 650 Seca for sale in Minnesota - so that may have been a migrant from Canada. Or may have been one of the few RJC (Canadian) models reported to have been sold in the states.

As far as the touring versions, I think the fairings and bags are just options, so they don't have any special model or frame designations. For example, my XJ750RK has the full "touring package", but it has a normal 5G2 frame code, and the owner's manual says "XJ750RK", just like any other XJ750RK that year.

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Apparently there are also XJ650Rj bikes with 750 motors

6. faffi

faffi Active Member

Thank you, that was also new to me.