1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Anyone have a Windjammer on a 750 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Uxbridge Brule, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Trying to get an idea of the mounting bracket for a Windjammer to put it on my 1983 750 Maxim. The faring came off a Goldwing but I hear all the Windjammers were the same just the mounts to the frame were different. I'm hoping to fab up the brackets but was looking for advice/pictures for some inspiration.
    Thanks

2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Home made mounts (craigvetter.com)

Apparently Craig Vetter is still around but in searching for this I discovered he is now 79. Brilliant guy. I am sure there are folks who have put Windjammers on XJ's. I have always thought they were pretty big and heavy for the relatively small framed XJ's and their not heavy duty front suspensions. About 2 years ago I put a smaller Vetter Quicksilver frame mount fairing on a Midnight Maxim 750. I thought that was a nice compromise. Big enough to be pretty effective, small enough not to overwhelm the bike. It was sold shortly there after but I saw it on the road a couple of weeks ago. I will see if I can find a post a picture of it. The mounting hardware for the Quicksilver is pretty flimsy compared to the Windjammer though, needs reinforcement, bracing to not be bouncy when riding.

3. Uxbridge Brule

Thanks Fullert56. I have looked at that web site and have made a profile at the vetter owners group most of the pictures don't give an idea of how it's mounted near the head stock. I have a Rooster faring minus the windshield that is smaller and fork/handle bar mounted but the windshield is $200(US) plus shipping and duty and I was concerned about a wind induced weave it might have on steering.

4. Fuller56

Found the Midnight Maxim/ Quicksilver photos! I have seen pictures of the Rooster fairings but never have seen one in the flesh. I like the looks of them though. I have used several types of bar mount windshields and fairings on several bikes, including a Seca 650 and not had a problem with wind induced weaves or instabilities. But then I don't ride in the upper reaches of speed either. Anyway, here are some photos for your consideration. IMG_6070.JPG IMG_6071.JPG

Another thought, some of the XJ frames have a really handy lug on the front of the frame on the steering head that has threaded holes that I used to mount a stabilizing bracket to the center of the fairing, between the forks. If narrow enough it clears at full lock both ways. Not all the frames have it.

Attached Files:

5. Uxbridge Brule

That Quicksilver looks almost as big as the Windjammer SS I have so I wouldn't have to worry about wind weave with the Rooster just getting the screen. I will look to see if my frame has the lugs you mentioned. I see your seat had the seam tear in the same place as my two seats have. Weather is getting nice enough up hear I can start getting back in the garage. I will post pictures when I get it mounted but I'm getting a plan now thanks.

6. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Someone here will know for sure if the downtubes of the XJ750 are the same as the XJ900, and here's why.
    I have a couple of Windjammers, one of which was mounted on a Suzuki GS850. I had planned to fit the other windjammer to my XJ900F, and saw that the GS850 'Jammer bracket was almost a perfect fit.
    You'll have no trouble finding a GS850 / GS1000 bracket if the front part of the XJ frames are the same.
    Otoh, the Maxim might be different.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  7. Fuller56

I just found an ad with photos of a Windjammer on an XJ Maxim. The fellow has a lot of "stuff" on his XJ and to me it looks pretty overwhelmed. Here it is as an example only[​IMG]

8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Purple Rain,mmm purapple rain, LOL

9. Uxbridge Brule

That's a lot of gear for a 650. My wife would love/hate that seat. She would love it once she got on but I don't think she could get her leg high enough to get on

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I have a black jammer that came of a xj750. Not too sure if that is something you are willing to pay shipping on. I think both of the cargo tops are also missing. The wind screen looks good as do the turn signals and headlight.

Will not go on any of my XJ's...so

11. Uxbridge Brule

Thanks for the offer but the one I have is in good shape and shipping would be a killer. I've gotten a few small parts sent from the States for my S83 and couldn't believe the shipping cost a Windjammer would be pricey.

Timbox likes this.
  12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

13. Uxbridge Brule

Hopefully I can see the 650 in person and take pictures and measurements at the NYCC

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I don’t have it on right now, but I Have all the parts… So we can measure easily

Uxbridge Brule likes this.