1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Anyone here live in the San Francisco/bay area?

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by Seca550_SF, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Seca550_SF

Seca550_SF New Member

I live up on market in SF. I am new to bikes in general but I just got my XJ550 about 4 weeks ago from craigslist. She ran okay when I first to it but then I did something dumb and left petcock on prime for a while. So I am currently troubleshooting and have narrowed it down to a possible stuck float valves. Anyway, was wondering if any xj owners on this board live in sf. I've seen some xj's on the streets and perhaps some of you also lurk this board.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Looks like you scared them off Seca550. I'm afraid your all alone up there. Smokamoto is out in Sac if you get lonely. 2 hours from you and a heck of a lot more trees!

3. Lohnair

Lohnair Member

I'm in the San Jose area. Unfortunately I haven't learned anything yet about carbs and such, but at least I know I'm not completely alone in the Bay Area.

Lohnair

4. amidroc

amidroc New Member

I live up in Sacramento. If you think you may have a stuck float. Setting the petcock to res and drian out the float bowls by loosening the screws at the base of each bowl. Not sure if it will work but you may have too much fuel in there for the spark plug to ignite. that may sound silly but if the spark plug it too wet i dont think it will fire.

good luck

5. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

I drove all the way from Phoenix to Sacramento to pickup my XS1100.

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

Thats dedication! Quite a trip, and at today's gas prices, you must have wanted that particular bike rather badly!

7. thealanberman

thealanberman New Member

I live over in Hayward. I guess I might be the closest one so far. Though I'm not gonna be of any use as far as advice. I'm a total novice to bikes. Just got my '82 XJ650 about a month ago.

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

Welcome to you all the same, novice or not. Hayward, 580/980 run through there as I recall, neat "little" town. Give SF_550 a shout, he's just across the 92 (or is it 94?), I know he'd like to meet up with more XJ fans.

9. thealanberman

thealanberman New Member

It's the 92. (San Mateo Bridge).

The only 94 I know of goes from Seattle to Wisconsin. (I'm a native Minnesota boy.)

I'll definitely try to meet up with Seca550_SF... I could use a fellow XJ owner to go through the learning process with.

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

Yeah, Seca550_SF, I keep screwing up his name. We did coffee the last time I passed through SF, nice guy. I hope he has bothered to check his email. PM me if you don't get a response, I can get in touch with him.

11. newman

newman New Member

I just bought an XJ550 Seca the other day. Actually, got three at the same time but none are complete so I have a lot of work ahead of me. Joined here as part of my research. I'm in San Jose.

12. seca6750

seca6750 New Member

I live in Santa Rosa about 50 miles north of SF.

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

Nice country up there. I liked the commute but it was just cold all of the time. Wouldn't mind living out there however.

14. bffox

bffox New Member

I purchased an old 82' maxim 550 few months back. Just finally got it road-worthy. Up in the Fremont Area.

Erik

15. Carlsnet

Carlsnet New Member

Hey Seca, I just joined the XJBikes club, and I live near Geary and Van Ness, I have some good news if you are still in need,, I have a complete carb set for you. Free if you want it. I just got a 550 Maxim myself. :D

16. quicksilver

quicksilver New Member

im in lemoore but me and my club ride that way at times. i have a xj 550.

17. Robert

Robert Active Member

Quick, I've got friends up that way and pass through every quarter or so. I'd love to hit Kings National for a few hours. I miss the Lemoore swap meet, found a cool set of vintage Bates leathers there back in 90.

18. quicksilver

quicksilver New Member

Well i transfer back to missouri in dec so if you decide to swing by let me know . swap some ideas and post them.

19. Robert

Robert Active Member

Will do. I've a very good friend who just got back out of the Gulf this past month who is stationed up there. His wife hails from Lemoore so its looking like his next tour will keep him there. I'll see if I can't get free (2 jobs, school, and a 2 year old don't leave much time) one of these days. I'll PM you if I get a shot. You might also shoot me your Email on PM.

20. dc383

dc383 New Member

I just bought my first motorcycle, an 82 xj550 seca.

im over in davis, ca if you guys ever want to ride.