1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Anyone Near Kankakee and is equipped to do XJ carbs

Discussion in 'Central US and Canada' started by Metal_Bob, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I'm eager and willing to learn how to do my own carbs/syncing/etc. However I have a near zero budget after buying my first motorcycle and some riding gear (Helmet and Jacket so far).

I thought I had a bought a smooth riding used MC. Some minor adjustments might let me ride the MC but I know the carbs should be done properly sooner than later.

Just curious if there was anyone semi near me that could help/teach me how to do my 82 XJ750J Maxim carbs (and has the tools/space).

Or worse case an old school mechanic who would do a proper job not just a quick clean and bench sync (still not sure what all the terms are) for a reasonable price.

Just post here for now. No solid budget at the moment. I'm itching to ride more than around the block, but I also want a safe/smooth ride.

2. JayEye

JayEye Member

Keep me posted on how that turns out for you i'm just about 20 miles north of you in Chicago Heights. I have rebuilt car carburetors but not multiple motorcycle carbs. My bike is running good but i would like to rebuild my carbs before my summer trip to Canada.

3. JayEye

JayEye Member

Keep me posted on how that turns out for you i'm just about 20 miles north of you in Chicago Heights. I have rebuilt car carburetors but not multiple motorcycle carbs. My bike is running good but i would like to rebuild my carbs before my summer trip to Canada.

4. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I met a guy thru a few layers of friend on Facebook (Wife, Wife's friend, Her Friend, and his Friend), that has a "shop" near United Center.

I know its not close but it ok based on traffic.

He only fixed my my rubber rotation/balance on both my wheels. He commented that he's cleaned lots of people's carbs.

I didn't think to ask him price at that time. I'm not also sure if he'd be as through as us doing it ourselves.

If semi interested, let me know and I shoot him an email and inquire about what he'd charge for cleaning and bench syncing.