1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bad: Yamaha OEM parts too much $

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by HooNz, Jun 15, 2006.

1. HooNz

HooNz Member

All Yamaha Genuine spare parts.

Way to Pricey for broke dudes like me.... :oops:

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Re: Bad

Is this a review of a particular shop or a generalized statement. I'll agree that prices are steep but one must consider where the parts are coming from and the distribution network. Remember, your paying for every hand that touches it and the fuel to get it there.

3. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Re: Bad

Agree to a certain point Robert but some of these things only cost a few dollars to produce and if the items are small then cost of freight is minimal.

An example. I priced up brake parts the other day from Yamaha dealer.

M/C kit`AUD 123.60
    Caliper seal kit AUD 76.30 (3 required)
    Rear MC kit AUD 135

Total $487 AUD Approx 375 US

PartsnMore Same stuff plus a set of fork seals all up US 83 + US 30 postage.

Total $113 US

Now we don't have too many aftermarket suppliers over here for these types of things but it is generally cheaper to bring things over from the US than to buy here.

If a dealer came somewhere close to a comparable price then I would be happy to support them, but buggered if I'm having my wallet raped just for a label.

Cheers
    HG

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

I hear you mate, can't argue with the math. I will however sing the praises of the OEM parts for some things, in particular fork seals and hydraulic parts! Aftermarket just doesn't hold up nor last as long in my experience. I'm throwing $14 USD a pop for fork seals from the dealer instead of the $15 a set for aftermarket. Some things are worth the extra dollar ('cause I don't like resealing forks all that much and wish to stretch out the service intervals as long as possible). I will not blow my money at the dealer if I can help it either but sometimes it's all you can get. I don't even bother with the dealership anymore, I go straight to BikeBandit to get my Yamaha OEM parts. $7 USD flat rate for shipping to the house no matter how much or how little I buy. Not too shabby for $200 worth of parts and no annoying snot nosed punk behind the counter trying to sell me crap I don't need.

5. HooNz

HooNz Member

I think maybe thats what i meant , "over here" , i just priced today for something to do whilst i picked up the stuff i ordered , new conrod shells aud $240 and ring set aud$270 pistons were $570 for four , everything i ask about is the standard answer $100 + , cam chain 127 a aftermarket 45? , the excuse is we/they have to inport it? , i already know its here and probably bin sitting here for 20 years so i know they tell me big fib , even in the uk also they are heeps cheaper.

The whole bike is less than that on the market , around $1000 +/-

Here is the same old story , price parts up so can no fix bike or make it unviable and can no get from anywhere else , so have to buy another one? =sales , you blokes and gals think the commys are in russia , THEY HERE !

HooNz's personal unbiased biased opinion.....:)

6. HooNz

HooNz Member

I wanted to edit my last but could no find da edit button , i wanted to add , there is a common psykology here too , parts are priced to the value of the average the weekly wage and NOT what they are worth/cost to make/transport +%markup , so its a figure pulled out of the hat like a magician and a calculation .