1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Be The Bunny! Safe riding and motorcycle survival thread

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by bigfitz52, Jul 25, 2008.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'll (somewhat) disagree. I haven't had anyone turn left in front of me in the six years since I started wearing my Dayglo-Discoball helmet.
    Complacency kills, but visibility is a fantastic defence against the complacency of others.

2. k-moe

Hold on.....

You consider brake-checking and confronting another driver to be a reasonable response to lights flashing at you?!

Lights, not lasers?!

Dude. Bunnies are calm; bunnies are Zen.

3. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Understood - I'm not saying don't try and be seen - I'm just saying don't expect to be seen even with a Dayglo-Discoball helmet, and don't over-do-it so much that everyone is eyeballing you and not paying attention to anything else.

I know you (k-moe) have been riding long enough to know this but I just want to make sure the new rider doesn't fall into the trap of thinking that an SUV driver who's trying to plug in his iphone, getting a earful from his wife about missing his kids conception, while asphyxiating himself on a double-gouda-donut-burger will give a shit about the tiny glowing guy on a motorcycle when he needs to change lanes.

..and no I said I've slammed my brakes on and politely asked the gentleman how i could help. I really thought he was trying to wave me down - I thought there was something wrong with my car. I had only been in the US for about 3 weeks at the time and never heard of these stupid things.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    SpearChucker and k-moe like this.
  4. mc1oo1

mc1oo1 Member

Welcome to America

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Wait.... I'm still trying process this---

ROTFLMAO

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Ribo likes this.
  6. k-moe

Agreed.

7. skiprrdog

skiprrdog Active Member

As everyone else has said, pay attention and be prepared to ride. You cant always account for what others might/might not do, only your own actions. Over the years I have had several accidents, from just doing stupid stuff while riding my street bike offroad, to having my bike so mangled the only way it got home was with a chain wrapped round it dangling from the back of a tow truck; in *every* instance, there was a high degree of operator inattention involved. It can happen pretty fast, one second you are enjoying the ride, the next you are flat on your back with tubes going where no tube should ever go. Know your abilities, know your bike, making sure it is in good/safe running condition, and above and beyond all else, *relax and enjoy the ride*! You can never anticipate everything that might happen. One time I was all proud of myself for putting on a helmet to take a short ride to a lawyers office to talk about divorce #2. I was a mile or so from the place and a bee or hornet flew up under my glasses and stung me *just* below my eye. By the time I walked into the lawyers office, my eye was running water so bad he probably thought I was crying about the obscene retainer check I was about to write. My point is you cant worry about every little thing, do the best you can and just enjoy the ride, because being tense and fearful will kill you.

Ribo likes this.
  8. Steve M.

Steve M. Member

I have been hit from behind sitting at a stoplight.I have T boned an idiot who turned left in front of me,That being said. I don't ride without gear,helmet,jacket, gloves, eye protection, never ride in shorts, never ride without boots.I have the results of road rash on about 30 percent of my body I was stupid I payed the price......so now I would rather sweat then bleed

9. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    and when you're tired of being the bunny..........

[​IMG]

Franz, SpearChucker, chacal and 2 others like this.
  10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

thats a little over kill all you need is 1 machine gun
    [​IMG]
    1916-17 Matchless-Vickers 8B2-M Russian Military Motorcycle Combination4

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  11. Steve M.

Steve M. Member

I like the way you think.the best defense is an awesome offense

12. Steve M.

Steve M. Member

I drive a tractor trailer for a living.I think it helps in that you tend to think way ahead of you,escapes or outs what ever you want to call them equal surviving on a bike..I also avoid large group rides. A huge bunch of people who don't know each other with various degrees of ability what could possibly go wrong.

Johnius and k-moe like this.
  13. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Why am I flashing back to Mad Max?
    :)

14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

oddly enough people look for those riders and avoided them;)

15. jamings67

jamings67 Member

I almost high sided once because a guy slammed on the breaks with no warning and came to a complete stop on a back road. It was to look at some restaurant. Anyway I had to react quick and my back tire came out so fast and I barely recovered it. We where on a curve. I was on a GS 1000 at the time. I love the fact that on my XJ1100 the front brakes will engage when just using the rear pedal because they are linked. Never even hinted at locking even with some hard breaking on dirt. One other thing is wet grass can be tricky especially if your front brake is dragging a bit.

16. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Bump for fall riding. The sun is low and blinding drivers here. Wet leaves are starting to stick to the roads in the parks here. Hit a boatload of apples @45 in the road yesterday....that was a new one for me, truck must've dumped em. I'll admit I didn't see them until I was about 2 seconds away, no panic just maintained throttle right through.

17. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Black Hills. 2 months riding experience on my new XJ550 (1985). Lead cycle driving down the mountain on two lane winding blacktop called Rimrock Hwy in the rain. Following a beat up pickup. Come around bend, saw pickup in road, with on coming traffic in other lane.

Suddenly I realize the pickup is stopped, no brake lights, no turn signals. On left, on coming traffic. On right, gravel shoulder the width of sidewalk, then a drop off into a canyon.

Hit the brakes. Guys behind me see only steam from my tires. Coming up on pickup at about 45-50 mph. Maneuver right onto gravel at about 40 mph. Look down and see rocks skipping over edge inches from my tire.

Made it around him, but my buddies aren't sure how.

I learned never become complacent, don't over drive your conditions, beware of the other driver, and keep warm (the cold made my senses and reflexes slow).

18. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

That is why I avoid group pheasant or deer hunts....

TheCrazyGnat and k-moe like this.
  19. Lightcs1776

Lightcs1776 Active Member

+1. I hunt alone or with one or two others that I have known for a significant number of years.

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  20. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

First day of Spring!
    Bunny bump.

rocs82650, jayrodoh and Johnius like this.