1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Be The Bunny! Safe riding and motorcycle survival thread

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by bigfitz52, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

k-moe likes this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That used to be a requirement (and may still be insome states). Now the trend is to wear as much camoflauge as possible. Unfortunately hunting accidents seem to have increased as a result.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes camouflage I prefer but the places I used to shoot did not have many other people there and it was shotguns rather than long range rifles I had.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Back to motorcycles.

I find that practicing emergency stops and manouvers in a parking lot twice a year helps me to react a bit faster. I also practice low-speed riding. The rear brake is a wonderful tool for maintaining a below-walking-speed pace while allowing you to keep the engine speed up and take advantage of the gyroscopic effect of the engine.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes I agree practice is very important. Low speed riding was part of the motorcycle test here as I am sure it will be in the States. Reaction times and speed control are lifesavers. I had a few close incidents with cars when I was younger, and I learned my lesson.

k-moe likes this.
  6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

My wife got me a florescent neon green sweat shirt it is now required riding gear until I get a flo neon green jacket. I am amazed at how far back cars are staying from me when I wear the sweat shirt.
    May get them back even more if I strap on a shotgun;)

so many sq inches of orange is required when hunting in NH

Franz likes this.
  7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

As Thomas Hobbes wrote 'a power to keep them in awe' well the shotgun would do that lol.

8. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    That reminds just bought a new camo hunting suit..

[​IMG]

MattiThundrrr and XJ550H like this.
  9. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

Well, this past summer I took the local MSF course. And I will say thanks to my instructors and myself for listening. I say this because I was riding on my way home for lunch; I got cut off and hit by another car at 40 mph! Launched me from my bike went 10 feet as I hit pavement I rolled to the side of the road. All I can say from this experience is I really wish that cars could stop drivers from being on there phones all together. The reality hit and the realization hit 2 days after my accident; I was almost killed by a middle aged man on his cell phone!!!! I got very angry then greatful when I realized how lucky I was. I used every instinct and small lesson I had been taught through the MSF course to save my own life.

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Glad you are ok. That was one great thing about motorcycling in the 1970's etc when l first rode a bike no mobile phones. I cannot understand how anyone can use a phone and drive and they text too. Clearly they don't care about potential consequences for others. I would jail the lot of them.

11. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

Yes; I can imagine how nice that might have been to be able to ride with potentially less distracted drivers. Unfortunately for me when I had been riding was the day before thanksgiving; so I believe the assailant had been navigating and texting when he cut me off; I did simply ask why he had been on his phone to which he gave no response; then he stated that he was so grateful that I had been wearing all of my gear; to which I aggravatedly replied yes I am too because I would have been dead otherwise; he knew how bad it was overall; but I did meet up with this gentleman at a later point and he bought me a beer and profusely apologized and stated in front of a judge that he would be very happy to pay for any and all damages to myself and my bike and that again he was just so grateful that my death was not on his hands.

Franz likes this.
  12. raskal

raskal Active Member

someone who actually took responsibility for his actions seems to be rare these days too

Franz likes this.
  13. XJ550H

jayrodoh likes this.
  14. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Yes. I’m a BRS instructor and some of his stuff does deviate a little from our curriculum but I do reference his page in my wrap up and his content is solid.

15. XJ550H

one of the key things is the covering of the brake lever. course beats it into you not to so you do not over front brake in an emergancy. with the thought being that you will have applied the rear brakes before your hand gets to the lever.

he does tell you when he is deviating from the safety course.

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

This infurates me this driver should never be allowed to drive again.

17. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

But, but.... unless you are riding a 'chopper', with a ridiculously raked front end ( and associated skinny front tyre) most of your braking force > 80%? in the dry, should be the Front.
    This is what all the safety courses I have been on teach....in fact if you CAN'T emergency brake and know the limits of both the brake lever/tyres, safely, then you really shouldn't be riding.

The back brake on most motorcycles I have ridden....although I will say the drum braked XJ's are certainly not the weakest, are usually far too weak to slow the bike down sufficiently....

I always cover the front brake, depending on bike/tyres/condition, either one or two fingers

18. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Some of his cornering positioning, on those 'empty' corners, is a bit suspect....he's NOT using all of the available road to give him the best (furthest) view around the corner...the further round the bend you can see, the safer you are !!

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes I agree it is all about identifying potential hazards as much as possible. Hell of a smash though, he is lucky to have survived it.

20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

In the time it takes a person to react to a car coming from a blind corner into your lane, just WOW. With the force of that hit even good emergency braking would have gotten them hit, maybe not at hard, but that car was not stopping. The choice is taking off road and that is not good either. Just a supper sad vid and resulting I would guess death. I wonder how often this happen on the Dragons Tail?