1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Beginner Incompetence Query

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by KPasa, Apr 2, 2019.

1. KPasa

KPasa New Member

Hello all!
    I've been consulting this great community for a while as I do battle against my mechanical ineptness..

I own an xj650 maxim!
    I recently pulled my air box (huge pain in the ass) and carbs for some cleaning. The air filter was disgusting and I promptly tossed it.. anyway I ordered the following as a replacement
    Hiflofiltro-HFA4609

I am currently struggling to put this new filter in.. I remember taking out the original filter as being extremely easy. As I was foolish enough to throw out my reference (ie. my old airbox) I was wondering if anyone could confirm that this airbox is compatible , amazon seems to believe so..
    Thanks for any imput.. hopefully my questions and contributions will become more complex over time,
    Kyle

2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

These are constant velocity carbs, and want a specific air flow coming in. I am not an expert, but from what I have read on this site, you may have issues with anything other than the original, stock airbox and new filter in that. To be clear, did you discard the airbox that houses the filter, or just the filter (the part number you indicate it is just the filter)? If you need a new filter, only use an OEM style, or you may have air mixture problems with "hiflow" filters.

XJ4ever (top right link on this website) is a great place to order exactly the right part, every time!

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Guys....
    Read it again slowly. He threw out the old air filter, not the airbox.

The filter looks like an exact match for OEM. The lower tab fits into a tinyl slot at the front of the airbox, and the top tab is held into place by a small tab on the airbox cover. Getting the cover to hit the tab on the filter right can be tricky.
    Put the filter in so it's as close to vertical as you can, then slide the airbox cover forward and down so the tabs mate and push the filter ito place.

chacal likes this.
  5. XJ550H

this is why I ask if he still had the air box, I think we are dealing with a terminology issue

6. XJ550H

you do have correct air filter

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'm thinking it's just a repeated typo. Mainly because it's something I'd to myself :p

XJ550H likes this.
  8. KPasa

KPasa New Member

Typo indeed! I will never get rid of the stock air box, only plan on battering and cracking it a bit more!
    Good to know it should fit. How it was so easy to remove and such a pain in the ass to reinstall is still above my head!
    Thank you !

XJ550H likes this.
  9. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

BTDT. It was 2 years from the time I pulled my air filter out and put it back in. Took me a minute to figure out how it sat in there and the lid held it in place.

Did you get it back in?

10. KPasa

KPasa New Member

I have not ahaha I am stepping away for a little while... are you saying it goes in upside down?!

11. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Filter drops in like this:

IMG_2903.jpg

Now put the cover on like this. The tab on the filter cover here:

IMG_2906.jpg

Needs to push the filter forward by pushing on this tab here on the filter:

IMG_2905.jpg

Set the cover on the top being mindful of the information above and put this screw in first to push the filter forward and against the front of the airbox:

IMG_2908.jpg

Put the rear two screws in and you're done.

Rooster53, SpearChucker and XJ550H like this.