1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Better Headlight for 1982 xj650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Frederick, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Frederick

Frederick New Member

I went though the forum topics and didn't see this listed, hopefully I am not repeating one. I have the original type sealed beam headlight which doesn't put out all that much light. I would like to go with a halogen light but was not sure if I could do so without causing problems with the electrical system or fitment in the headlight bucket. Has anyone changed to a halogen system?, if so what did you change with and what issues if any did you have.
    Thanks for the help

2. Altus

Altus Active Member

I have - the setup I got is a replacement lens (mine's E-code though, so "technically" not legal for road use in North America - shhhhh) and a new H4 bulb. I got it through my local dealer ordered from the catalogue. You can use any bulb you like, but I can recommend either the motorcycle specific ones your dealer can sell you, or a GE Nighthawk.
    No problems with electrical at all, so long as you don't go with a higher wattage bulb - stock is 55w low / 60w high.
    No problem with fitment in the bucket at all. Fits just like the sealed beam.

Though I'm sorely tempted to run a new dedicated circuit for the headlight for better voltage - this guy has a great pre-made kit that I'm thinking about:
    Headlight power kit

3. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

I've never heard of going to a higher wattage bulb causing a problem, some of the guys I know even went to a 100w bulb, but state the housing can get warm. Even small bikes like yours usually has about a 300watt charging system, where your standard running gear is not remotely near using that up.

Bigger bikes will go higher in their charging system for added trailer lights etc. But upping the draw on 1 bulb isn't going to tax your charging system.

They make like a low 60/80 watt highbeam, that's what I use, and these bulbs are pretty cheap through JCWhitney's motorcycle catelog.

4. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I changed out my stock square headlight (Seca) with a round headlight bucket from a Kawasaki and used a pair of Suzuki arms to attach it to the forks. It looks stock on the bike. It has the Halogen replacement bulb inside and is alot brighter than the sealed beam units.
    You will find that alot of Yamahas, Suzukis, Kawasakis and Hondas use Halogen headlights with replacement bulbs inside the housing instead of the sealed beam units and the your charging system will handle the upgrade just fine. There are alot of aftermarket unit out there that will work also and you can find alot of them on Ebay for a good price.

5. Altus

Altus Active Member

As a note, the 650's alternator puts out 228 watts maximum. 19A @ 12V
    As such, we haven't got a whole lot of space for add-ons before you start having electrical system issues. Now, going to a 100W bulb and using that extra 40W might not seem like much - but trust me - it is.

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

No, no, no ... guys ....

14 Volts ... 19 Amps ~~> @ 5000 rpm's

The ALTERNATOR isn't rated for much extra load.

Your borrowing money from a Loan Shark.
    You can run-around spending that dough, payin' the vig and having a good time ... but, pretty soon the alternator rotor can't cover the vig. It kills itself rather than keep trying to pay.

With a BRAND NEW fully-charged battery ... you might be OK for awhile.
    But, eventually you might turn and brake with the high-bean on ... and the rotor burns-up and you start to get dimmer and dimmer as you roll to a stop.

I'm afraid to even look to see how much a Rotor is ... I'm guessing Big-$$!

7. Frederick

Frederick New Member

Not being versed in volts etc. Am I correct in that I can upgrade to a Halogen as long as it is still the 55w low and 60w high beam?
    thanks

8. Altus

Altus Active Member

Correct - the bike's electrical system will see no difference at all.

9. Frederick

Frederick New Member

Thanks to all for the input. Great to have this site and your help.
    Fred

10. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

The Rotor for my fathers CB750 was $400 from the stealership, luckily, i found one at a scrap metal dealership for $1.So if thats any indication, you don't want to burn out your rotor

11. bosozoku

bosozoku Member

I use Hot Grips, a 100W high beam bulb, sometimes a heated vest. No problems with flattening the battery or wiring issues....but I also ran dedicated feeds from the battery, instead of just tapping into the existing wiring harness.

12. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I agree with Bosozoku. I ran all new wires from the battery to all my extra accessories. I run everything thru switched relays also to prevent burned out switches. I got rid of most of my plastic multi-wire connectors that corrode and cause problems in the long run. I found that solders/heat shrinking wires together is the only way to prevent most of the electrical problems with these Yammies.

13. Ethan Weber

Ethan Weber New Member

Ok not to steal anything away from the post but I have a question for yall. My 82 xj650 headlight has that built in bulb and i want to be able to change the bulb cuz the stock headlight is not all that great. Is there a headlight cover that fits over the housing that i can change the bulb with or do i have to purchase a whole new set up with housing, mounting, and everything?

Thank you,

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The Maxim came with a sealed-beam headlight (just like like cars of the time). You have to either get a new sealed-beam, or a replacement glass and lens that will take a replaceable bulb. @chacal should have both options in stock.

What you'te probably noticing is the reduced uptput from a very old sealed-beam headlight, and replacing it will set things right if you can't afford upgrading to a replaceable-bulb unit.