1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bike seems to flood itself out as it warms up

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Alex Siddall, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Alex Siddall

Alex Siddall New Member

So I recently started rebuilding my 82 xj650 maxim. I have receipt rebuilt the carburetors. It will flood itself out while sitting there not running overnight if I don’t pinch off the fuel line. After I deal with the flooding it starts right up no choke no problems. As it warms up it starts to die out, then it won’t start up again because it has flooded itself. If I pull the plugs they are cover in gas, then it will start fine after I let it sit for a minute then do the same thing.

When rebuilding the carbs i didn’t know of the idle adjustment screw, thinking maybe that’s my issue. That or Its possible i bent a tab out of adjustment on the floats. If so how do I properly adjust those? I’ve seen some threads on here that mention tuning the idle adjustment screw, I don’t quite understand how that’s done. Any information is appreciated

Beck likes this.
  2. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Alex Siddall likes this.
  3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

There you go. Petcock clearly isn't shutting off as it should; and you for sure have float level issues.

YOU MAY ALSO HAVE A CRANKCASE FULL OF GAS at this point in which case an oil change will be needed as soon as the flooding is repaired.

k-moe and Alex Siddall like this.
  4. Alex Siddall

Alex Siddall New Member

Thank you both, I’ll look into rebuilding the petcock. Any tips on how to go about getting those floats where they should be.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

k-moe likes this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

+1 gas thinned oil is REALLY bad for bearings, and has the potential to bend connecting rods or (slim chance) making a great big KABOOM!!

7. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

The other possibility is the gas cap not venting properly and after you stop the bike engine heat pressurized the tank and forces fuel past the petcock and float valve and drowns everything.