1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

BK's Winter RestoMod Project - 82 XJ650 Seca

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Busted Knuckles, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

Okie doke. I can do that. I also bought some engine assembly oil too.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Looks looks you didn't remove the tach drive assembly/gear....

3. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

Yea, I'll pull that apart after I lap the valves.I already pulled it once, but I'll do it again and blow out anything that may have got in there.

4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I've read your post in another thread which is cool but several of us are also following your build thread. Please post pics and progress updates here so we can see and help as needed.

Gary H.

5. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

Yea, been meaning to. Been slow going. I have a few pics on the camera but I was going to wait until I had more progress.

First and foremost, the parts came in from Chacal two days after I ordered them. All parts are individually labeled and packaged. Each include a sheet with all the included components. I have a very short list of reputable vendors for automotive parts, computer hardware, and tools. Chacal has hit #1 in the motorcycle vendors. Fantastic resource ya'll have here.

Camera is down in the shop so I won't be able to post any pics yet. But I have four valves all lapped and inserted. All the valve seals are installed. Took a little head scratching to get the old ones out, but after the first two the others were no big deal. Its just too damned cold right now. I have a few two hour blocks here and there, but by the time I get it warmish in there, its time to call it a night. I have Friday and Saturday off and the wife has work. I'll crank the heat and see no reason why I won't have the head back onto the bike by Sunday.

Then I'll be moving onto some more outside things like cables, levers, and brakes. Next big purchase coming up will be the intake manifold.

So yea, a little slow going at the moment. Once I get an 8h block in the shop, I'll come back with some pics.

I appreciate the interest in the build though!

6. rocs82650

You're also member here.;)

Gary H.

7. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

Welp, here's an update:
    [​IMG]

Piston #2 is scored up. No idea where the sleeve went. I'm guessing it been like that for awhile. I'm sure the connecting rod bearings just loved all that metal being sloshed around in there.

Welp. The heads are all rebuilt. Valves are lapped. New gaskets in. Bottom end is junk. There's $400 out the door.

Washing up for the night and I'll start dismantling the bike tomorrow to part out. Maybe I'll get $50 out of it. Lost about $1300 on this project. Nice.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Tear it down further and inspect. You may have gotten lucky.

FWIW a titled frame should fetch at least $100.
    If you're willing to wait you'll get most of your $1300 out of it.

9. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

I live in NH. No title requirements here; just BoS.

I don't know man. There's a huge ass chunk missing. Having that thing sloshing around in there had to do something. So now it looks like I'm going to have to rebuild the bottom end too. I'll have to see what the bearings look like. I guess the next step is pulling the motor. I'll then have to replace piston #2 and put a new liner in; not sure how to do a new liner.

I've been in this position before. Its a bleeding wound. Do I just keep going and going, or cut my losses before I get too deep.

10. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

Here is the discovery:

If I were to replace the cylinder sleeves, how do I even get them out?

11. rocs82650

Not good. I don't know how much further you're thinking about going but I would...
    before i consider doing anything else to it.

Gary H.

12. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

Inspected the situation a bit deeper.

This was all that was in the pan:
    [​IMG]

The pan was held on with RTV. So someone had been in there before and removed the big ass chunk.

[​IMG]

Shitty pic, but the piston doesn't look too bad. No big difference between this one and the others.

This is the next step of the project:
    [​IMG]

My coworker's husband says he's done those before. He's the same guy that got the broken studs out of the head.

So this is where I am at now:

I have a 5m video that I go more into detail. I'll upload that later on as I have other things I need to do on the computer.

13. rocs82650

It's f@#!'d up if the PO knew about this and didn't say anything. Idk man...at this point I'm thinking a case split is in order (I would). Thataway you can inspect, flush the halves and know the bottom end is ok. Your $, time and effort should be rewarded with a solid bike.

Gary H.

14. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

15. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

Oh, I'm bullshit. I have the contact information from the guy I bought it from, as well as the guy before. I contacted both of them, and neither claimed to have ever taken the motor apart. They each told me they "got it running". I guess a surgeon could use caulking to put someone back together and say they fixed you with that train of thought. At this point I'm ready to just put it together and run it. If it runs fine, sell it in the spring and ride my XL for the year.

16. rocs82650

Post deleted.

Gary H.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  17. rocs82650

Post deleted.

Gary H.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  18. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

19. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

Here's the video of me going through the motions of what to do. This was before I took a minute to cooldown and go over things.

Nice find. So Maxim jugs will work as well? I'll just go that route.

In the end, I won't be riding this bike come next year. I was really looking forward to it, but I've lost all credibility with it. My Honda has crossed into Canada no issue, and I'd take it again. I'm nervous to even leave town now on the XJ. I'll get some used jugs, slap those in, throw it back together, see what I need for valve shims, and put in new intake boots. The motor isn't going to run any worse, so come spring time it will be a running bike. I'll be happy if I break even.

20. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

I am curious though, how would this have happened? There's no visible damage to the piston or rod. No scrape marks of a screw driver on the mating surfaces. That has me stumped.