1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bobber builf

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Chrisdecalise, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Chrisdecalise

Chrisdecalise New Member

Looking into turning my xj700 into a bobber? Anyone have an idea where to start? Fyi first ever bike so I'm new to this world.

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Can you weld? Are you creative and artistic? How much mechanical engineering experience do you have?
    If the answers are no, no and not much I would advise against it. Whatever you do make sure it's safe.

k-moe likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Start by riding her for a few years, taking a welding class at your local community college along with some engine repair classes, and in the meantime look for someone's unfinished project that you can buy for cheap and then fix all of the things that were done wrong.

Modifying bikes isn't anywhere near as easy as all of those TV shows make it look.

Now if you've already been sucessful at building a hot-rod then all that advice is wrong.

4. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Does it run? Make sure it does, before you start anything else. The ads are littered with "project bike, needs a little TLC", which translates to "I cut and welded, and can't make it work"

Also. If this is your first bike, what makes you think you want a bobber? Have you actually ridden one?

Bobbers are all looks, and usually uncomfortable as hell. You won't be improving the performance any. XJ isn't an old Harley, and the relatively small amount of weight you lose when bobbing isn't going to get you much of anything.

Franz, k-moe and Huntchuks like this.
  5. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

This.. with bells on.

6. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

..and this.