1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

bollies found whilst in church

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bensalf, Sep 23, 2014.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

ok, so, I'm in the church of clean-- just started on carb #1
    whilst stripping the carb down I noticed a tiny ball-bearing on the bench towel, its only about 3mm dia.
    [​IMG]
    I can't for the life of me find where it may have come from, so I stored it with the #1 carb bits, and continued to strip till all bits were removed.
    then , I found another bugger on the towel, I'm sure it wasn't there before, and I'm only working on #1 carb . apart from taking the carb hats off the other carbs, this is the only one I'm working on
    [​IMG]

all the little "bungs" seem to be in place, that block the drill passages off,
    I was beginning to think it may have been stuck onto the carb body, from somewhere else,
    but surely not 2
    no reference to any bollies in the Haynes, nor pictured in the exploded view
    any ideas? :confused:
    stu

2. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

I've rebuilt a few different models of carbs, from BS38 (XS650), Hitachis (MAxim-X), Mikunis (Maxim 750) and carbs of a Suzuki 450cc, but I've never seen ball bearings in them.

3. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

do you have a BB gun near? :cool:

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

some of them have places where the manufacturer needed to have a hole then needed to plug it up. they pressed a ball like that in the hole to seal it. are there any unaccounted for holes anywhere on the outside of the body?

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

BB's are 0.177 - - these appear to be smaller.

But - they don't belong here. What size are steering head bb's ??

And how do they just appear on your towel without noticing them ?? These would get past an intake valve !!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  6. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Let's see if this works...

[​IMG]

First pic with the new system.

I've seen this. Don't know if it's the samething. Theres something similar right above the butterfly valve. Unless you pressed it some how...??

Not sure if you have same carbs either

7. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Now that you show that, I realize there are similar ones (maybe smaller) on my BS34 Mikunis off of my '83 XS650.

8. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

What bike do you have?
    If you have an XJ1100 it could be possible that a P.O. put a set of XS1100 carbs on it. The XS1100 has two BB and springs to hold the choke (emulsion) lever in place when you pull it out.

9. bensalf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    some of them have places where the manufacturer needed to have a hole then needed to plug it up. they pressed a ball like that in the hole to seal it. are there any unaccounted for holes anywhere on the outside of the body?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nope, they're all in place ,as I said in the o,p, just double checked them.
    my bike is 1991 xj600 euro model----- just noticed its disappeared from my sig, so I just re-submitted it.
    that's interesting though, about the emulsion rod ,didd'nt notice any springs, i'll check that tomorrow,
    maybe the euro model has similar carbs , mikuni's bs32

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  10. bensalf

SOLVED! -- thanks so much to "tcoop" that's exactly it.
    went into workshop today ,and immediately checked the choke/ enrichment plunger guide holes ,and there in the bottom of the holes is a drilling, with the spring still in place, they're only on #2 and #3 carbs, heres the holes with the springs

[​IMG]

the spring and bollie slip into the hole just seen here on top of the choke lever guide, just above the enrichment plunger.
    ive pulled the spring up here with a small wire hook

[​IMG]

theres absolutely no mention of these in the Haynes or on the fiche exploded view,
    maybe it was a later addition on my 1991 xj600, carbs are mikuni BS32

as you can see there very easy to loose, and may fly out when removing the choke plunger rod.

thanks so much to "tcoop" I'd never have thought to look in there. all now safely stored.
    thanks
    stu:)

11. bensalf

I've had to put this picture in this post as it says theres an error posting more than 2 pictures in a posto_O

[​IMG]
    thanks all
    stu:)

12. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

I know about those ball and spring from when I took a set of carbs apart and saw something fly out and never to be seen again. :( Luckily on the XS11.com forum someone sells them and was able to get new ones.