1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Both front brake calipers seized

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mutley, May 15, 2019.

1. Mutley

Mutley New Member

Just bought a n old 1982 XJ750 and found both front brake calipers seized solid. Been looking to buy 2 new ones but none available. Can you buy a repair kit and if so what bits would I need to complete the repair. A link to Ebay to give me an idea would be appreciated. Thanks

2. raskal

raskal Active Member

This site suggests talking to Len (Chacal) at XJ4Ever (see the button top right of the page)
    He has all the parts you'll ever need

Mutley likes this.
  3. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Mutley likes this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site! You will find all kinds of info on here. If you are looking on this site you might be a little mechanically inclined. If so, I would try to rebuild them and save some money. Take them off and give them a try to take them apart and clean them. Normally the brake fluid gets into the seals and then dries and that is what causes the issues. The puck (the part the moves from the fluid pressure) gets dirty and also rusty. It can be cleaned and polished.

Bottom line, if you have the time give it a try, if not, buy from what ever source is best for you.

Again, welcome to the site.

Mutley likes this.
  5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Grease gun works great for pushing the old stuck pistons out. Hook the gun to the bleeder, plug the brake line connection with a bolt, open bleeder and pump away. Had a few calipers I thought we’re junk but once I learned that trick they came out with little effort.

S10gto, k-moe, Mutley and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Spot on !!! DO NOT USE CHANNEL LOCKS or VISE GRIPS ...YOU WILL SCORE the piston this will lead to ruined seals ....my caliper seals were rock hard originals
    tried an air nozzle no joy , grease gun worked like a champ , yes is messy to clean after wards only down side.

Mutley likes this.
  7. Mutley

Mutley New Member

Really appreciate your kind responses and hope as a newby XJ investor can bring this bike back to life. Thanks again

8. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Mutley I see you're from West Yorkshire! So am I (Bradford - yay...)

I'm going to look at an xj650 on Saturday. Was your 750 a runner? This 650 isn't but at least it turns over.

P.s how did you post a thread? It keeps telling me its spam haha