1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bought my first bike

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by TylerSteez, Nov 13, 2018.

1. TylerSteez

TylerSteez New Member

Hey guys, I've been wanting to get into bikes since I was a kid and I finally took the plunge and bought an 81 650 Maxim around the corner from me for next to nothing. the bike hasn't ran in a while and needs a good amount of work to get it running and driving.

Not to sound too full of myself but I'm pretty mechanically inclined with cars and machinery. I have an 86 Trans am that I've heavily modified and I do a lot of welding and metal fabricating at work. Motorcycles are new to me though so I will be learning as I'm going with this bike. I need to learn how to ride a bike as well lol.

I look forward to learning from you guys

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

take the motorcycle safety course

Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  3. TylerSteez

TylerSteez New Member

I plan on signing up and taking classes no worries

Stumplifter likes this.
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

do you have the haynes manual and the 80 and 81 xj650 Factory service manuals?

here is some helpful links

some reading for you

The Information Overload Hour

The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide

IN THE CHURCH OF CLEAN

THE SECRET LIFE OF CARBURETORS

Something New, Something Naked

TALKIN' TECH: Various thoughts on various issues

Bigfitz's AIRHEAD VALVE ADJUSTMENT with Pics - parts I & II

Choosing Oil for a Wet Clutch Motorcycle

SAFETY ALERT Drum rear brake bike owners please take a look

our forum supporting vendor plenty of parts and advice Chacal

XJ4Ever - Supporting Vendor

his web site
    www.xj4ever.com

KD Tools 2274 order at any parts store feeler gauge for valve check

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

^^^+1 READ above , get the bike running well FIRST if it bike has the stock airbox ...keep it , if it has PODS :mad: you will have to experiment with carb jetting. If bike has set front brakes are first order , calipers should be rebuilt with new seals, pads AND the most important if bike has stock rubber brake hoses ,they should be banished to the trash can , recommend replacing with braided stainless steel hoses( xj4ever Carrie's these as well as stock rubber hose) the biggest reason they harden and may look ok on outside but inside an collapse , check date on hose if you find a stencil of 81 ,82 there is your sign. The rear brake shoes should also be replaced ,back wheel will have to be pulled to examine. Ok probably overloaded you ,. :D

Stumplifter and cgutz like this.
  6. TylerSteez

TylerSteez New Member

I read many threads the other night as well as what xj550h sent, I’m switching to euro style bars so I have all the parts ordered except the front hydraulic line. If anyone has a recommendation for a shorter front line I’ll gladly order.

I don’t plan on driving this bike for a while so I’m more than willing to go through the entire bike to make sure it’s street safe before I take it on the road. after reading a thread about the rear drum locking up I will be rebuilding it.

I noticed when I apply the rear brakes that the swing arm moves to the right as if there’s play in the bushings/bearings so I plan on rebuilding that entire assembly.

Is there a site that everyone on this board orders parts from? I saw people reference a certain member on this forum but couldn’t locate a site to order from.

Thanks a ton guys

7. TylerSteez

TylerSteez New Member

The bike has the factory air box, I read all about the tuning issues people face when they switch to the pod style air filters so I’m gonna pass on that and keep the factory set up.

Stumplifter and Jetfixer like this.
  8. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Good move ,but keep the stock paper element too. A properly synched and tuned engine will deliver lots of miles .

9. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

www.xj4ever.com Send an email to start a conversation with Len and he'll make sure you get the parts you need.

10. TylerSteez

TylerSteez New Member

Awesome thanks for the link, I started working on it yesterday, went to replace the carb to head intake boots since they were super cracked and would definitely create a vacuum leak. Having a super hard time getting the carbs back into the new boots while they’re bolted on the head. Gonna try a heat gun today most likely.

Can someone confirm for me that all of the vacuum ports on the boots point straight up when installed? Also what are those for? They were all capped off on the old boots

11. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Congrats on the new to you bike. Those vacuum ports are used for vacuum matching the carbs to each other, balancing as it were. #3 (third from the left) is used to open the vacuum petcock on the fuel tank via a small hose. Yes, all should point up. Some silicone grease and gentle use of the heat gun will make re--installing the carbs easier.
    Have fun!
    John

Stumplifter likes this.
  12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The vacuum ports do point upright and the caps on the old boots need to go on the new ones if you do not have a new set of caps. They are for connecting the vacuum gauges to balance the carburettors. Some owners use the YICS tool to balance the carburettors and as I have not balanced mine other forum members are better placed to advise you. What I do know is that they can be balanced with or without the YICS tool. Put some lubricant on the new boots to help you fit the carburettors but make sure it will not damage the material they are made of.

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I did not see you had replied to this lol.

Stumplifter likes this.
  14. TylerSteez

TylerSteez New Member

Thanks for the info guys, I was using a little pb blaster as a lubcricant but I think I’ll switch it up with something else and use a heat gun to soften up the material a bit.

So if I read that correctly the third port from the left goes to the tanks petcock and all the other ports are closed off?

The previous owner really had no business working on anything, I guess he didn’t have the lid to the air box so he took house gutter material and used self tappers to secure it to the housing, the battery tray is a piece of wood, and the battery lock down is another piece of house gutter acting like a strap lol. Once it’s running I’m gonna make a sheet metal tray and air box lid. Would like to see pics of the factory stuff so I can copy how it’s supposed to look.

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes I meant to say this the vacuum from the third port when you are on the left of the machine is for the fuel tank pipe. Place an add in the wanted section of the forum for the parts you need. The information you have from the guys above will point you in the right direction to get your bike sorted out. As stated you can also get parts from Len on the www.xj4ever.com.

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes other ports are closed off.

17. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I noticed how many time you said 'I read...' , 'where can I read', etc.... And your replies indicate 'I'm listening and learning, and following sound advice'.....

You're gonna be juuuust fine. Welcome aboard.

Jetfixer likes this.
  18. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

You can use any of the 4 intake ports to activate the petcock, just be sure the other 3 are capped.
    On the FJ models, they used a manifold of hoses off all 4 ports with "T" fittings into one line.
    As a race bike, with low vaccuum at low rpm, this prevented fuel from shutting off if you bogged it down, also as a race bike, if #2 cylinder exploded and lost vaccuum, (where the petcock was attached) the petcock was operated by the remaining good 3 cylinders and you wouldnt run out of gas while you were already struggling to stay in second place with a blown up bike... Lol! ;)

19. TylerSteez

TylerSteez New Member

thank you, I’m a member of other forums so I know how annoying it can be when people make new threads without already searching the topic. Everyone on here has been great with helping me out and I appreciate it

20. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I see you're in CT... there's already a bunch of members nearish to you, but FWIW I am only a few hrs west of you... about 20 minutes south of Utica NY. If you need help/parts/Carb Clinic/etc...., send me a private message.

Dave F