1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Brake upgrade, maybe...

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by skills4lou, Apr 15, 2013.

1. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

Hi All,
    I'm considering upgrading my front brakes with a more standard bar mounted master cylinder. If I go this route, I'll also be replacing the OE bar with a nice chrome one that I can mount a fairing to.

So my question: what's a good MC replacement that is clean, includes mirror mounts and the brake switch?

I'll be getting new SS brake lines this year, and I figure I'll just do the whole thing at once.
    Thanks!

2. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Is the cable op one 5/8" bore? I think the stock XJ one looks fine, and will polish up nice if you like shiny bits too...

3. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

There's been one on ebay (Chinese made) that a couple of members have used without problem so far. If you want original, XJ's, Virago's and Fazor's used the same MC.
    There are 2 different mounting styles though, 1 is angled to mount on older ramshorn style bars and the other is straight mount for buckhorn style bars.

4. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

Thanks O-n-B. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll do some searching and see what I come up with.

UK bloke: I don't have any idea what size bore this cable op one is, but it does activate the dual front disks. Shiny is fine, but I'm far more interested in stopping power and ease of conversion. That cable op arrangement is probably the biggest "head scratcher" for me on my bike. Why would they go with that when bar mount MC are perfectly acceptable?

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Why?

Because the 750 Seca was supposed to be an example of "state of the art" engineering in 1981, and it had to have those silly pads on the bar so they wanted it "clean." The rectangular dual-headlight, anti-dive and all that techno-fiddle was why I didn't buy one back then.

For ease of conversion, find one from a 650 or 900 Seca or an XJ700. Same basic M/C in a bar-mounted, level configuration ideal for sporty bars. Get one off eBay and rebuild it, or get ahold of chacal and ask him about pn HCP1808.

Get yourself a BikeMaster Euro, Daytona or GP Touring bar and be happy. http://www.bikemaster.com/handlebars.html

6. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I'd recommend against the Daytona bend, there's tank interference on the XJ750 Seca with the controls when you turn full lock-to-lock, especially the choke lever on the left side. I had to turn mine up a bit, adding rise could help too.

7. schnarr

schnarr Member

i used a master of an FJ1200 works great and looks OEM

8. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

So that would mean the cable-op one's a 5/8" cylinder too then right?

If you want performance you really need to know the bore size since any change will affect the amount of fluid moved & as such, the "leverage" you have against the pads... Smaller than stock would move less fluid so have longer travel/potentially more power and larger bore would have less travel/less power but potentially more "feel"...

Really you need to know the original bore so that you can keep to it with whatever M/C you buy, as then the ratio won't be changed. I should have mentioned in my first reply that I meant the stock XJ (bar mounted) one not the original one.

9. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member