1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Brake upgrade xj550 cafe racer

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Stefan Haycock, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Stefan Haycock

Stefan Haycock New Member

Just ordered some adapters from nkracing
    Lovely bloke will be here in the next two weeks and he specifically does them for the xj550 if you phone him as the rd350 ones require modifying your forks slightly. £156.99 all in including postage for the adapters to r1 bluepoint callipers. Photo below of the bike

Attached Files:

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Interesting.. but we can't see them in that pic! web address after googling is here.. https://nkracing.co/braking
    BTW do yourself a favour and bin those shitty Chinese shocks. I had some on mine and they make it like a rodeo ride. YSS or Hagon for the win.

3. Stefan Haycock

Awesome I’ll have a look for some new rear shocks then, they where just what was on the bike when I bought it. The adapters are on there way so hopefully in a couple of weeks they will be fitted

4. Stefan Haycock

They are on, brakes still feel abit lacking but that could be the fact I’ve chucked used pads in to just try in my yard due to the fact the new ones haven’t arrived yet

Attached Files:

5. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

What master cylinder are you using? It should be 14mm bore or larger, or you won't get good brake feel. I only know this because I put some gold-spots on my FZR1000 last summer and upgraded my MC as well.

6. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Things I've noticed. #1 I would drill six more holes in your rotor, same dia. same spacing but rotated 30 degrees and a shorter radius so the holes overlap the path of the pads. Do not chamfer the holes deburr only.
    #2 your braided brake line has the extension loop in the wrong area, as the forks extend and compress there is no movement in the lower part.
    #3 the caliper brake line fitting should have a 90 degree bend upward towards the M/C
    Cheers, 50gary

a100man likes this.
  7. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

In addition to matching the m/c did you also overhaul the calipers first? Seals etc..

8. Stefan Haycock

As far as I’m aware it’s just a reproduction of the original one so no idea on bore size but will look into that
    Thanks for the advice I hadn’t given the extension loop a thought just pulled it through abit more to get some slack so will make sure I push that back. Also now you’ve pointed it out I can’t believe I put the fitting on the wrong way ‍♂️

I haven’t as it’s been refurbished apparently but I want to put the new braided line on first as I think that’s my issue, bikes not being ridden on the road yet I was just impatient and wanted to give it a try