1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Brand New XJ650G owner, with "Project bike" questions...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by The Original CruiserXJ650, Jun 3, 2016.

1. The Original CruiserXJ650

The Original CruiserXJ650 New Member

Hello everyone! I haven't been on a bike since the 1970's (yea, I'm old) and yet new Girlfriend has a bike and wants me to join her. Just bought a fair condition 1980 XJ650G (under 1300 serial number!) that has a couple of issues. Previous owner reports that it started and ran good (he took it on a trade) but dies when you let go of the starter button. Is this something in the right handgrip switch, or should I look elsewhere?

Secondly, he broke the starter solenoid, (the round kind he had to pry open). Is there a "best" solenoid to replace it with.

Third, . Any mechanical issues on the first year XJ650 I should fix first?? Keep in mind that the basic plan is to make it run (reasonably inexpensively now) and get my motorcycle license, then start upgradingAll suggestions welcome!

Fourth, So Many Manuals available. Do you have a favorite? I can buy a factory one for a G, or should I get a later one for an '82 with the later upgrades? Thanks, CruiserXJ650.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I believe you have a Non YCIS model , but I think the manual cover this as well. Check valve clearance, check brakes( pull rear wheel ck lining) check brake line date if they say 198X replace!!! Your carbs need rebuilt( new seals ,needle & seat, gaskets) and read a lot of the posts on forum see what else is recommended.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If it dies when you let go of the starter button then it's the starter that's keeping the engine spinning enough to run. Read the information overload hour link in my signature for a starting place.

4. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Welcome to the forum! Any parts you need can be obtained from a member name Chacal. He runs XJ4Ever and there's a link to it in the upper righthand corner of this page. You can browse through the catalog and all of the information he has. When ready to order or to ask him questions, start a conversation with him on this forum, his username is Chacal....I said that already didn't I. Anyway, he has all the right parts and super customer service. Good luck!