1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

CALGARY ALBERTA

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by xj650ss, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Kylew11

Kylew11 Member

Hey,

New owner in Calgary for the time being. I bought it at the end of June, working on it since. The bike is being overhauled to replace my wheels that I just sold. I need it to be running and running well by September so a good long ride with some of you guys would help tune it up for sure (when I get it to be rideable). I may just need to hold a carb clinic in my garage except I wont be the teacher haha.. we could probably learn all the lessons from my carbs.

Cheers,

Kyle

2. Kylew11

Kylew11 Member

Just got the bike running and running well after having for a few weeks! who wants to ride!

3. ShakerNorm

ShakerNorm New Member

Just got my 83 1100 Maxim - so have a lot to learn about these things. All my experience is XS650... but I am a mechanic (OK - on airplanes), but have a pretty good selection of tools - including some precision tools (dial indicators, torque wrenches, etc.). Unfortunately, my garage is not heated, so it gets a little frosty come Dec/Jan......

If anyone hears of any rides or carb clinics in the southern Alberta area, I'll do my best to make it there!

4. spalomo81

spalomo81 Member

hey you guys still members in here?

5. ShakerNorm

ShakerNorm New Member

I am....

6. ShakerNorm

ShakerNorm New Member

Took mine out with my Veteran buddies out to Banff on Sunday for lunch - WAY too much traffic, but a good ride out 1A - except for a couple crotch-rockets who almost got turned into road pizza as they passed us on a blind curve with a corner. Another 2 seconds and one would have hit the grille of a truck hauling a 5th wheel probably doing over 160 km/h.

I'm still having carb issues - seems to be running on 3 cylinders as soon as I crank the throttle - possibly a holed diaphragm, but can't take it apart to fix right now - since it's my only set of wheels till I get my truck back together.

Also - has anyone else got a front wheel shake (like an out-of-balance, not a wobble) around 140 km/h (about 85 mph for you "Mericans ;))? I've even got dyna-beads in mine, but the whole front end still starts shaking around that speed (both before and after I put in the dyna-beads). I'm thinking possibly an out-of-round wheel, or still out of balance.