1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

California VIN Problems

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by day7a1, Feb 24, 2011.

1. day7a1

day7a1 Member

So, I went to the Cali DMV today to get my 1982 XJ650J registered. It was made in 11/1981. So for those who know, yes, it is one of the bikes where the decal doesn't match the stamp.

Needless to say, they didn't like that. Furthermore, my decal is a bit messed up, and you can't read the Federal VIN Decal.

I need to make an appointment with the California Highway Patrol (which will happen in 2 weeks or more), but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what might happen?

As it stands, I don't have a title that matches the VIN on the bike!!! Even though I know (due to Chacal's great tome on the subject) that it is indeed the right VIN.

What should I do??

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Do you mean the white tag #s don't match the stamped numbers in the head tube ??
    Or that your "82 was made in '81, because that's normal for everything made in Oct, Nov, Dec.

And why is Robert missing ??

3. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Both.

The white tag doesn't EXACTLY match, but it is clearly the correct long VIN that corresponds with the "shorty" VIN that is stamped on the other side of the tube and on the engine.

The dude at the DMV noticed that the title doesn't match any VIN that he can clearly read on the bike. The title only matches up with the white decal, which is no longer white, and not fully decal.

I'm afraid the CHP might see the same thing, and I won't be able to convince them it was one of 1,000 vehicles made in the world that has 2 perfectly valid VINs on them.

4. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Thats the way it sounds to be. His white vin decal on the frame is illegible. I am pretty sure there is a VIN number on the motor itself right?

5. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

You're between a rock anda hard place. Is it actually an '81? VINs weren't required to be standardized until '82. I had the opposite problem, in MA, '82 titled with a shorty VIN, but it was easier to point to a stamped number, even if that wasn't "correct."

Engine number is the same as the shorty stamped vin, it's on the right side over the clutch. Good luck, maybe they have a process for incomplete VINs

6. day7a1

day7a1 Member

ManBot: So what did they do when your title didn't match your VIN on the bike? My bike's model is an 82, with YICS and everything, but the frame was evidently stamped for the 81 model year, and it was one of the first of 82, so it still had the old vins on it. Except the decal, which is messed up now.

7. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

On my 82 550 Seca the sticker on the neck has the long VIN and the stamped short VIN right next to it. The long VIN contains the short VIN. DMV should know that. Do you have the pink slip for the bike? If you have the pink slip there shouldn't be a problem. If you only have a bill of sale you will have some work to do. What kind of paperwork did you get when you bought the bike? I bought a Katana from a dealer that was no longer in the system and DMV just verified the VIN and did a brake and light inspection. Try another DMV office.

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

+1 on Zombie , try another office, print out Chacal's info, show them that you know alot about VIN #s , check digits , ETC. Ask to speak to a supervisor , don't blink !!

9. BlkMage

BlkMage Member

Ahh, I love Nevada.
    Brought in the title, insurance card, and my old personalized plate to switch it over. Left with registration and a sticker. DMV never even looked at the bike, it was sitting at home.

I agree about trying elsewhere. Might have just gotten the wrong employee on the wrong day.

10. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

For my bike (titled under the 10 digit VIN), I took the title to the RMV. They said that they didn't "believe" the 10-digit vin, and to have a police officer verify it and fill out a form. An officer came by, and I pointed to the stamped vin, he filled out the form, and the RMV had to "trick" their system to take it. So technically it did match...I actually didn't notice the sticker (which had some numbers rubbed off) until afterwards.

Surprisingly, the MD MVA, had no problem with a 10 digit vin. I agree, talk to a supervisor. IMHO, the stamped vin is unique and more "secure," so I'd rather have it titled under that number than a sticker.

11. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

It's the same way in AZ. I have never had anyone check VINs when transferring titles. Except if it is from out of state, than you need two VIN locations.

12. day7a1

day7a1 Member

So it didn't end up being a big deal, the CHP at the station just looked it over, sent me away for 30 minutes, and came into the lobby to give me the paperwork. I honestly don't know what he looked when I wasn't there, maybe he just did paperwork. He said they just look it over to make sure it isn't stolen and that's why the VIN can't be read. He kept the same VIN, I thought he might change the paperwork to reflect the stamped VINs.

It would have been a lot easier if I didn't have to go the the appointment that I had to change, then go back to the DMV. They did put me in the expedited line at the DMV though, I only waited about a half hour, and the line was out the door when I got there.

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

The VIN stamped on the neck is the one to worry about. I had a bike verified recently by our fine uniformed friends and it was painless (the CHP part). The DMV has been a royal PITA about registering this 1980. I've got a bill of sale on it and paid the bloomin fees (I wasn't even asked if I wanted it no-operative status) and now they want me to provide them with some document from Nevada stating it isn't in their system. As luck would have it, the NV DMV responded to a general email inquiry in less than two hours and have provided OUTSTANDING support since. Take that one California... I've been bouncing back and forth between the two DMV offices here in Ventura and I get different requirements each time I walk in. The system is entirely subjective to the person behind the counter. I HATE the CA DMV. Incompetent bureaucratic lackies.

14. KA1J

KA1J Member

I bought an XJ1100 which has the short VIN stamped on the neck (same # as on the engine) but bought it from out of state. The local DMV genius rejected it though the short VIN was on the title because he wanted the long VIN on the sticker. I pointed out the short VIN was in the long VIN but all he could see in his world was the white sticker with the long VIN. My bike was rejected

I went to a different branch and all the DMV official wanted to see was what was stamped on the neck, he had no interest in what was on the white sticker. Since the title & the neck matched, he was happy.

The 2nd official understood what was obvious, the first had no clue and didn't want to think.

My suggestion is to go to a different branch.

15. waldo

waldo Member

California is a beautiful place its to bad the California government is a bunch of F tards dont even get me started on their DMV.

16. BlkMage

BlkMage Member

Waldo's got it right, which I why I live about a half hour inside Nevada.