1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

can anyone tell me how to remove the vacuum caps on my 82 Yamaha XJ650 intake manifold boot

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Jerry Smith, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Jerry Smith

Jerry Smith New Member

can anyone tell me how to remove the vacuum caps on my 82 Yamaha XJ650 intake manifold? They're really hard to remove and I don't want to break them do they come all the way off?

2. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Remove the clips with some longnose pliers and then pull the caps off with the same pliers. If they are brittle with age just buy some more, they are only a couple of $ each.
    If you're not going to sync the carbs i would leave them in place then buy new for the sync and replace when the time comes.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    k-moe likes this.
  3. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

If you break them and need to use the bike, just cut an inch+ of rubber tubing, put it on and seal it with a short bolt smeared in Hylomar. Ideally put the clamp back on the tube and if possible use a fuel clamp on the bolted section.

k-moe likes this.
  4. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

In a pinch, clear vinyl tubing with one end sealed with a lighter and pliers.

Dave in Ireland likes this.
  5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Your local auto parts store has vacuum caps in many sizes

Attached Files:

6. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I found the vinyl vacuum caps I bought at an auto parts store get really soft when the engine fully warmed on a hot day, and even with a clamp were loose. I was worried about air leak, so I reverted to the OEM ones. I believe XJ4ever sells them.