1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

car mufflers on a bike, dent pullers,miscellaneous

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cruiserlover, Jun 15, 2018.

1. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

My 81 650 maxim looks pretty good,runs good.havent got the front brakes fixed yet.My mufflers were cut off,makes the bike way too loud.I was going to try restomod.But the mufflers are like swiss cheese.Just not worth messing with.I have found replacement ones as cheap as $20 each on ebay.Most of the upclose pictures show theirs have problems too. I give up on restoration perfection. I saw reverse cone dunstall types $89 each,multiple shorty mufflers from 30-60 each.At pepboys i found cherry bomb car mufflers for $30 each. 1. Are car mufflers too restrictive for a bike?\
    2. I caved in accidentally about 3/4 inch deep where the emblem mounts on the gastank on the right side.I saw where some dent puller kits using the screwdown middle suction cup and glue sticks were used.Supposedly available at harbor freight.They dont have them.I could order one, but wondered if anyone has used one and how was it.
    3. my shocks and fork springs are most likely 37 years old.I have never got to ride the bike, but i would think new ones would make a big difference, even though it only has 24,000 miles on it.I am definitely going to change the fork oil. I dont want this project to get ridiculous on money spent.I think progressive springs cost about $100. But shocks are very expensive.Opinions on that appreciated.
    4.lastly, any xj owners in the dallas area?

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Sportster mufflers have been used as slip ons. With the amount of modifications that Harley owners feel pressured to do to make their bikes coil, there are probably a stack behind the local dealership.

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Pops a dent actually work , you need to wax area well , heat the glue gun up, put a dab on the puller plate ,press in place for a few seconds. Put the bar on tighten down wingnut till it pops off as long as dent has no crease should pull it out . You might have to do it a couple of times. Cheers

4. Jetfixer

Shocks will not be cheap , be cautious of the "cool" looking shocks from China have seen they may not work at all. Hagon shocks are the best probably but are not cheap either. Progressive springs are a good upgrade , or an old trick my yamaha dealer fabricate a 1/4" spacer out of PVC pipe same diameter as spring . It will make it more difficult to force plug into spring . He told me since spring settles being 30 years old this will "tighten" up the spring .

5. Jetfixer

Agree with Matti ..but seen some mufflers on eBay from fast moto that look good and price did not appear bad. It showed measurements which help to figure out if they will fit . You might also look at Dime City or JP cycle . I'm running a Mac 4 into 2 exhaust that works good., they run about 4 to 5 hundred $ but if you intend on keeping bike for awhile might be worth it.

Stumplifter likes this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Some of those shocks from China have been known to break at the mounting boss.
    Go with a well known brand from Japan, Taiwan, the U.S. or anywhere in Europe.

hogfiddles and Jetfixer like this.
  7. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Cherry bombs?
    They are louder than straight pipes.

Had a set on a 75 Scout and would set off car alarms.

Jetfixer likes this.
  8. cruiserlover

wow.thanks for all the great input.I have heard the dumpster suggestions in regard to sporty mufflers before.Our harley dealer here is like going into deux et maquina.They probably have guard-dogs and an electric fence around theirs. I plan on keeping this bike indefinitely.I am 69 and it fits me better.I still have an immaculate 87 venture, but damn its heavy.If I was riding to sturgis i would take it over the xj. I think I will do the progressive springs, but the shocks i just cant afford.Good headsup on the cherry bombs.I had no idea they were that loud. I have some goodlooking mufflers off a 99 venture, but they are way too fat to fit under the pegs.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  10. XJ550H

11. cruiserlover

12. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I tried the Harbor Freight bar puller for a dent in my tank and it didn’t work very well. It probably would on a section of fender that was pushed in with no crease. I bought the one shown on EBay in the following link and it worked much better. I almost totally removed a silver dollar size dent that had a crease. As the dent is pulled out and gets smaller you will need the smaller tabs. If you have a very large dent the bar puller may help getting it to the point that the snap puller can take over. In any case, you can get both pullers on eBay or Amazon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paintless-...883159?hash=item1a2ea79097:g:C6gAAOSws9BbDmoK

https://www.amazon.com/Yoohe-Paintl...d=1529356460&sr=8-14&keywords=dent+puller+kit

https://www.amazon.com/ARISD-Paintl...D=51HbSDf%2BRNL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

13. XJ550H

HF does mail order for items not at store

14. cruiserlover

thanks!

15. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

I remember sticking blocks of wood into the springs on my Reliant K to keep the back end from scraping.

16. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I LOVE KCARS! A nice Reliant automobile. I call my Neon a Neo-K!

17. cruiserlover

the one thats cheapest looks like the best one. I guess it all works about the same.

18. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Is that meant to be a play on gnocchi?

19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

No, a play on neon... Neo (new) K, like it's the new Kcar. Also, if I had the inclination, I could make a badge for it by combining pieces from each car.
    I also call it Mildred cuz it was owned by an old lady before me, and it is soo mild, and red.

20. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

ahhhh K cars! My first car was a '74 Dodge Dart, the color of baby poop, way back when. Threw a new engine in and ... for some reason, I painted the engine bay LIME GREEN and called the car Frankenstein.

No sense of taste in my teens.