1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb boot fix

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Monkeyrocco, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Monkeyrocco

Monkeyrocco New Member

Hi all here's a fix I devised for carb stubs / boots whatever you call them that just might get you out of a fix. Tap the metal part of the boot I used 3.5mm drill the rubber 2mm then force screw a 3.5mm cap head into it seal the parts together with RTV silicone and cable tie together as pic.

Attached Files:

2. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Though that may get you out of a jam, silicone dissolves from gas so this is no way permanent
    Ive used 2-part epoxy and left the boot in a vise overnight, though that too is temporary

3. Monkeyrocco

Monkeyrocco New Member

Rtv silicone as opposed to other types is advertised fuel proof ( at least Granville rtv is in the UK ) I have used the fix for a couple of hundred miles no problem needs the cable ties for strength though

4. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

RTV will eventually separate from the rubber as the oils migrate outward. It'll work for a while but it'll eventually leak under the RTV. Unfortunately, overmolds like this have to be replaced when the rubber splits from the metal. You could remold them with silicone rubber if you make a mold from a new one. The cost to do that would be more than just buying a new boot.

5. Monkeyrocco

Monkeyrocco New Member

I am Old and still learning ! its OK for a quick fix though, got new ones on now

Ryengoth likes this.