1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb Boot Gaskets

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by nicodemayo, Jun 23, 2016.

1. nicodemayo

nicodemayo New Member

Hello everyone,

I ordered some new gaskets for my carb boots, and before I install, I was wondering if I should put anything on them. Gut tells me to put a LITTLE bit of permatex black on both sides but I wanted to be sure. Also what do people prefer to put on the threads of the allen screws that bolt them to the heads? Thanks in advance!

-Nic

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The head gets a little bit too warm for black RTV.
    Use this instead
    [​IMG]
    It's much less messy too.

I like to use a medium-strength theadlock compound on the hardware. Not only does it help heep things snug, it also fills the airspace between the threads so they don't corrode.

3. JVMaxim

JVMaxim New Member

Hi. My Carb boots are dry rotted. I bought new ones. May I please have advise on putting on ? From beginnng to end would be very appreciated.

4. JVMaxim

JVMaxim New Member

82 Maxim 550. I'm seeing "don't do" on internet. But - I've replaced lots and want to complete right. Glueing a bicycle intertube over old ones seems not right.

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

on the other hand, nobody has ever broken a bolt off putting inner tubes over the manifolds

StarGeneral and k-moe like this.
  6. k-moe

Repairing cracked intake boots with RTV is a time-tested repair. It was a medthod developed when there was no ability to get new intake boots.

Remiving the existing boots is a gambel (one that I took).
    Step one: soak each bolt with a good penetrating oil and wait.
    Step two: come back a few days later and begin to back each bolt out, no more than a full turn. Soak with penetrating oil again.
    Step three: repeat steps one and two until the bolts are either out, or have snapped off.
    The reamianing steps will depend on whether you need to extract any snapped bolts or not.

7. JVMaxim

JVMaxim New Member

Thank you. Was impatient... and went for. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to restore this $ 300 bike and have only bought best parts I can find - some from the honarable Mr. XJ. I had hoped to have it on road by now but life has gotten in way - and I decided to do complete no cut corners restoration. I'm on second large can of Mothers aluminum polish - lol. I sprayed PB Baster on bolts and then followed manual to get carbs off. As a semi rookie mechanic - took me about 1-1/2 hours. Then held my breath and carefully broke loose the boot bolts on the motor side. SUCCESS ! :) They all came out no problem. WooHoo !

jayrodoh likes this.
  8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

That's great news, I had 5 break. At this point it's cleaning the mating surface and installing the new boots and gaskets. Proper torque and clean threads are important here. Install gaskets dry or with a little copper spray gasket.

k-moe likes this.
  9. k-moe

Medium strength threadlock will prevent the hardware from corroding to the head. Make life a little easier for the next guy, and use some.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

quick before it's too late, go play the lottery

11. JVMaxim

JVMaxim New Member

With the Powerball one like huge maybe I should ! Thank you for advice on copper gasket stuff and was planning on some Pernatex on threads putting back in. New boots came with new gaskets. My carbs look pretty good - everything seems to move/work right - but # 1 pin was a little slow/sticky with some varnish on pin. I cleaned all with carb cleaner a couple times and now all seems to work fine. Am I making a mistake just cleaning good and putting back on ? Bike was properly drained before stored and has 4900 miles on it - that appear to have been fairly gentle - no blueing on any pipes at all. Gas tank no residue or deposits inside - very clean. Thank you for advice ! JimV

12. Joshy

Joshy New Member

OK so I am very confused is there supposed to be an o ring, gasket or should I use Victor reinz sealant on the inside of this carb boot. I tried to use cork gasket and it failed.

Life is a little harder as I am fitting gsxr600 throttles onto my bike. So I have to bolt the throttles and the boots together otherwise they will never fit.