1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb float shaft post broken

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joshs700n, Jan 17, 2020.

1. joshs700n

joshs700n Member

Just wondering if this is fixable

Attached Files:

2. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

Yes it is. First and easiest solution might be to replace the carburetor body. On mine, I had the post welded. Finding someone to do that could prove a challenge. I think that service was more expensive than a set of carburetors on eBay.
    Here is a repair tutorial:

Don't be tempted to use adhesive such as JB Weld. That repair will eventually fail.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

there are a few posts on fixing the post
    if you pick up a ebay rack you may want to fix the ebay set or just look for a carb body.

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

My carbs had one post broke , the PO had drilled and had a pin , and JB weld on post . Was VERY solid had a time knocking it off . I put it back with JB weld , if one follows directions and patient ...takes 24 hours to set up is awesome stuff. I have repaired engine cases , when I worked as a kid at Ditch Witch one of my jobs was fixing Dana 44 rear ends that had cracked cases , I had to stop drill cracks going a trough and fill with JB WELD after set up filled with gear oil let sit for 24 hours never had one leak . The other product the works great is Liquid Steel , it is a two part putty stick , roll and knead into a ball , it sets up in about 5 minutes so you have to work fast .

5. joshs700n

joshs700n Member

Hi-so I have another set of carbs but hey I'm going I just has big lead in her big mouth McGee big Lee has big mouth it sounds like I'm I got some more we leave here Mike I'm going to get this outfit

6. joshs700n

joshs700n Member

hi thank you so I do have another set of carbs but the problem with those are the damn idle mixture screws are stuck in there and I tried to drill one out but it but I ended up drilling into the threads to on the carb so I don't know if they're even fixable now

7. joshs700n

joshs700n Member

Hi I have another set of carbs but I tried Drilling one of the idle mixture screws out because there was stuck in there and I ended up drilling into the threads on the carb and I don't know if it's even fixable now

8. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

It can be welded- but there are only a few places that will do it and you’ll still have to strip the carb of any rubber or plastic parts.

If you can find a competent machine shop they can drill both ends and add a pin + adhesive.

Or send Chacal $200 and get a new body.

I tried just globing on all of the JB weld, steel stick, marine stick, epoxy, etc and it gets wobbly soon after contact with fuel

JetmechMarty likes this.
  9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

maybe that aluminum "welding" stick will work . the one you see then patching holes in a can with

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i tried several times to use that stuff, R/C airplane engine, (fail,motor mount lug melted) lawn mower deck, (fail, couldn't get the deck hot enough) smartphone stand worked until i dropped it, (fail, looked good)
    i would think that while you keep the body hot enough to melt the stick, the post will melt

11. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I fell for it too epic fail ,it melted the post so I'm not sure if Mapp gas would have melted the stick better or not maybe one day I will try it. In the mean time I have a bunch of sticks:D

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

IMHO I would have to go with a replacement carb or carb rack. I don't know if I could ever stop thinking about that post holding up once it was repaired. Would I ride that bike as often as I should knowing it could stand me?

13. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Just get a replacement body

Timbox likes this.