1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb Rebuild Complete (Almost)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, Jun 3, 2016.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I'm proud to say that my carb rebuild is complete...well, almost. I haven't gotten them back on the bike yet. The carbs weren't really dirty at all so somebody must have cleaned them shortly before I bought the bike 2 years ago. They did have some jets mixed up which I corrected. Also, I checked the dry float heights before I tore the carbs down and they were all at 14 or 15 mm. That would cause the fuel level to be way too high which is probably where my rising oil level was coming from. My petcock doesn't leak but after a ride, my oil level would be higher even after letting the oil cool and settle. When re-assembling the carbs, I dry-set the float heights to 17.5 mm. I only had to readjust one carb to get it from 4 mm to the preferred 3 mm setting. I let the carbs sit there with the fuel source open for about an hour and no gas overflowed anywhere so I guess the float valves are sealing correctly. Now I've got to find time to get them on the bike and see if I did everything right.

Lightcs1776 and k-moe like this.
  2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Great news...put a little silicone grease inside the bore of the intake boots will make reinstalling carbs much easier.

waldreps likes this.