1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb Rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, May 12, 2016.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Well, I took the first step in rebuilding my carbs on my 82 XJ650 Maxim. I got the carbs off and it was actually pretty easy. It took me about 35 minutes. The first problem I ran into is 3 of the bowl drain screws won't come out. I was going to take them out to get the fuel out of the bowls but it looks like I'm going to have to get a screw extractor to get them out. Just started and already running into additional costs. :(

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Drain screws can be a bear. Use plenty of penetrating oil, time, and then heat before you try to break them free with the extractor. Also drill clear through the screws to help relieve pressure from the threads.
    If the extractor begins to deflect at all, then STOP! The only thing worse than a stuck fastener is a broken extractor.

Old bikes are all about additional costs. It's still cheaper (and more satisfying for me) than buying new.

PilotSmack and waldreps like this.
  3. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Yeah, I've run into a broken extractor before...not fun. This may sound like a dumb question but there's still fuel in the bowls...well, three of them. Should I just turn the carbs over and let it drain out while I'm taking the fuel bowls off or try to take the bowls off with the carbs upright? I'd like to have the bowls off and screwed to a board while I work on the drain screws.

4. k-moe

I tip them over and let the fuel drain out through the jets when I have stuck drain screws. Working with the bowls seperated from the carb bodies is prudent.

waldreps likes this.
  5. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

That's what I was thinking but didn't want to do something stupid right off the bat. Thanks.

6. k-moe

You won't get all of the fuel out that way, but it will get most of it. Drain the rest after you've loosened the bowl screws and then pop the bowls loose on one side.

waldreps likes this.
  7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

You may end up having to get "New " bowls ... I bought a set of Carbs off ebay ( I needed a replacement #1 carb body) They were not complete (no diaphragms) I paid 65$ unfortunately the float bowl drain screws are welded in tried PB blaster/ WD 40 , propane torch ...The drain screws are straight slot BUT they refuse to budge not that it matters as they are just for parts. Good luck.

waldreps likes this.
  8. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Once you get the bowls off, screw them to a piece of 2X4. You'll have a much better chance getting the drains out without hurting yourself

waldreps likes this.
  10. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

this is what you want to put back in those float bowls
    [​IMG]

12. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Yep, I've got one of Len's Deluxe Rebuild kits on the way with those type drain screws in it.

13. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I don't think he should put,"No I don't want a pickle I just want to ride" in the float bowls.o_O

Gary H.

14. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I've got my carbs apart and have decided just to be safe, I'm going to redo one carb at a time. I just took my air jets out. The pilot jet is correct since it's a 205. The main jet is a 36...I think that's what it says as it's hard to read. My Yamaha manual says that stock is supposed to be a 50. My bike is stock with stock header pipes, mufflers, stock airbox and filter. Should I go back to the stock 50? Is the manual correct that it should be a 50? Also, on the other end, I can't get my fuel pilot jet out of the short tower. Someone has mangled it and I can't even get vice-grips on it. Any suggestions? One more question, what are the jets called that are on each side of the intake of the carb body where the rubber boots from the airbox connect?

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  15. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Ok, I got my pilot fuel jet out. I'm gonna need a new one of those as it's pretty messed up. I checked all the carbs and they all have 205 pilot air jets and 36 main air jets. I'm thinking I should put it back to the stock 50 main air jet. If anybody can weigh in on that, that would be awesome. I found my answer to the jets on each side of the intake. On the intake of the carb body (the side toward the airbox) I have a 36 jet on the left and a 50 jet on the right. I just read in the Church of Clean that these are air compensator jets and both should be 36. Maybe somebody got my main air jet and one of these jets mixed up.

Last edited: May 23, 2016