1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

carb "T" piece leak, grrrrr

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bensalf, Nov 29, 2014.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

hi all,
    so today was the day I was going to wet set my floats , after cleaning ,renovating and replacing all seals etc.
    then rebuilding them.

[​IMG]
    so, set up the carbs and dummy tank
    [​IMG]
    then discovered a leak at the only part that doesn't have any "O" rings in it,
    the "T" piece in the fuel rail, where the incoming line attaches.

so managed to remove the bolts on the left 2 carbs and slide the carbs apart on the enrichment plunger rail, just enough to remove the "T".
    [​IMG]
    I noticed whilst rebuilding the carbs that there is no "O" rings in this piece, all other fuel rails and vent "T"s and throttle shafts have seals----
    why o why don't this one, its the only bugger that leaks, it didn't leak before I rebuilt the carbs,
    I did polish the "T" bores with a dremel felt wheel, but I did so, on all the others.
    the "T" is aluminium covered with a rubber coating, and just pushes in!!.
    job on hold now till new one arrives.
    I did try to put a small "O" ring on it , but it wouldn't go in the bore
    stu

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Chacal has a replacment inlet T that uses o-rings.

3. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

OMG!!! Those look like brand new. Better than new. I love the braided fuel line and the gold accent on the carb rail and throttle bracket. Noticed the cap screws, too. Stainless, I assume. Can't wait to see the rest of the bike.

4. bensalf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chacal has a replacment inlet T that uses o-rings.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    really!! , bugger, already ordered a new one locally, just hope that cures it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I love the braided fuel line and the gold accent on the carb rail and throttle bracket. Noticed the cap screws, too. Stainless, I assume. Can't wait to see the rest of the bike.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yes , all bike has stainless fasteners,
    posted this on an earlier thread
    [​IMG]
    cheers
    stu

5. daphnebroon

daphnebroon New Member

Besalf,
    Had the same problem with the \t piece on my XJ 55o , i tried wrapping a few turns of PTFE plumbers tape around both carb sides, enough to make it tight because as you said no room for o ring, dont know if there was a slight misalignment that made the seal between the carb and the bad on rebuild , but mine is still sealing a month on.
    Where in UK did you buy new T pieca as i couldnt source one and would like to have one on standby.
    Are the carb bodies painted or thoroughly cleaned on yours cox they look good.

6. bensalf

"T" piece was ordered through my local dealer, from "fowlers" , from my dealers on line shop, but private sales have to be phoned in.

the carbs were cleaned with carb cleaner then sprayed with engine enamel.
    [​IMG]
    but the paint is not very durable unless its been through a few heat cycles.
    stu

7. bensalf

"daphnebroon"
    if you need the part number for the "T" piece its--- 1j7-14988-00
    and its £20 delivered to your local dealer,:eek:
    by the way , love your part of the world, especially the salmon ladder.

stu

8. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Hi Bensalf

Another aside on this thread. I'm also at teh point of attaching my carbs to a 600 engine (although 550 frame) - see you have the intake boots on in the first pic.. are you planning to install like this ? Is it possible to reach all the bolts ? I'm thinking it would be easier this way than trying to mount all four at once on
    old hardened rubbers..

James

9. bensalf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    see you have the intake boots on in the first pic.. are you planning to install like this ?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no,no,, I just pushed the boots on the carbs, after repairing them with heatshrink, ( discussed on another thread)
    don't think you would get a good seal between head and rubbers if you installed them on the carbs first

10. bensalf

everything sorted now , new "T" piece arrived today, and it fitted a lot tighter than the old one.
    carb rack built back up and all floats, wet set to speck, i.e. 3mm below carb flange,!!
    eureka!! no leaks either.
    stu:)

Stumplifter likes this.