1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Central New York Carb Clinic #12 - June 8, 2019

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by hogfiddles, Feb 7, 2019.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

IMG_8783.JPG
    End of the day

2. hogfiddles

IMG_8758.JPG

IMG_8761.JPG

Special visitor on the shop door after dark.... a Luna Moth

3. hogfiddles

So here's a compact list of what was done:

3 bikes synced
    1 clearance adjustment
    1 oil change
    1 fork oil change
    1 rear gear oil change
    1 speedometer opened for service
    1 tachometer replaced
    1 carb rack opened and adjusted ( other issues to be addressed after trip home)
    1 auxiliary light replaced
    A few electrical issues solved
    A lot of food and sodas consumed
    A few misc broken parts replaced
    Replaced a faulty petcock
    Replaced a broken/shorted right-hand control
    Re-connected an electrical connection during our afternoon ride

I probably missed something, so more updates from others will fill in the gaps :)

Dfox

smeagol21b and kosel like this.
  4. hogfiddles

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO ATTENDED!!! It was another great carb clinic, and a great time for catching up with friends--- time to gear up for CNYCC#13...June 2020:)

SPECIAL THANKS TO LEN CHACAL AND XJ4EVER For all the support!

Thanks also to Gates-Cole Insurance and NAPA for the door prize donations---your support is MUCH appreciated!!!

smeagol21b and Stumplifter like this.
  5. hogfiddles

Sunday morning:

After coffee and donuts, as Geoff and Dustin were preparing to leave, intermittent electrical issue that Jeff was having yesterday caused his bike to shut down…

While working on his bike, there was another helicopter flyover .
    IMG_8784.JPG

IMG_8790.jpg
    After some investigating we found a shorted and burned wire in his ignition switch. We dug another switch out of the parts stash… And after a little while wereable to start up with no more issues.

IMG_8786.JPG

On leaving, though, his bike started to mess and sputter... and then stalled out. I flipped his switch to PRI, it started up-then he noticed when he had moved his tank, The vacuum line had slipped off. That problem was taken care of-so now everyone is happily on their ways home.

The clean-up crew has arrived:)
    IMG_8793.JPG

Plan ahead --- CNYCC#13 is scheduled for June 13, 2020. That should be easy to remember --- " The 13th on the 13th".

Dfox

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    smeagol21b and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  6. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Glad this got sorted. Hope the guys have a good and safe trip home.

I got back as well. Took advantage of the weather and having all day and chose scenic routes to get back home. A
    I am very glad I spent a few dollars on a crampbuster and a cooling shirt for underneath the jacket.

Definitely another great CC weekend.

smeagol21b and hogfiddles like this.
  7. Steve R

Steve R Member

8. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

IMG_20190608_171229192.jpg IMG_20190608_102518020_HDR.jpg IMG_20190608_143114209.jpg
    Obviously out of order...
    - bike lineup without riders. Nuch will have the official one.
    - the scene in the morning as work got underway
    - Dave sync-ing my carbs. The master works fast!

I got home at 11pm, unloaded the bike, shower then bed. Great day and super nice to meet folks from here. That was a great ride at the end of the day as well! I wished I had my go-pro!

hogfiddles and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  9. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Just arrived home after an eventful post-clinic day. On our ride last night my bike had been cutting out intermittently while riding, but would either catch up on it's own or I could get it started with the starter button. I assumed I just knocked something loose when I was fooling around in the headlight bucket while replacing the tach and putting new LEDs behind the Speedo and tach. When we got back I made sure everything was snugged up, turned it on and it seemed to run ok. Thankfully, we actually planned to to a quick running synch this morning, because while warming the bike up it kept cutting out until finally it wouldn't start anymore. After investigating we found, as Dave said above, there was a short a wire connected to the kill switch. I hastened its demise while clumsily fiddling with it and pulled the wire out of it's barely soldered connection. Fortunately, the east coast parts hoarder was there to save the day and we were able to quickly get it up and running with a replacement.

Despite my issues, and Dustin's, it was a great ride. We had to do a little bit of roadside service to my fellow Pennsylvanian's ride half way through. Thankfully, it was a brief intermission and we were able to quickly get back to enjoying the fantastic scenery around Dave's place.

It was great to meet new XJ enthusiasts and catch up with old acquaintances. Thanks to Dave for hosting again and sharing his yard with us! Thanks, Carmine, for the awesome food and bringing those sweet new XJ threads; I'm wearing my new shirt as I type this. And thanks to everyone else for the great conversation and making this community great!

10. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

From where I sit, I count at least one jealous Canuck.

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I wish I was over there in the USA so I could go to the Carb Clinic too.

ronmax86 likes this.
  12. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

group-layers-cnycc12.jpg

My friends. Thank you for making this year's carb clinic another great one... Just got back home and of course I'm swamped with other things already. I'll be back on in a few days to post more pics and share some thoughts but I didn't want any more time to go by without sharing the group photo.

Until then...

-Nuch

p.s. For some reason, the forum is compressing my image down to 1200 pixels across. The image I have is of course much larger... Can't figure it out...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  13. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Having been part of the XJ community here on XJbikes for some time, I wanted to say that I had a great experience finally making the 8 hour round trip to attend this year's clinic. Looks like everyone made it home safe.

Got a chance to help out a bit, and even learn how to do a valve adjustment on an "Air-head".

Thanks Dave "Hogfiddles" for hosting a memorable event, and look forward to getting together at the next one.
    And maybe we'll be blessed again with weather as nice as this year's, and I'll ride up Friday and do an overnight.

Tony

hogfiddles likes this.
  14. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Tough-looking bunch............ :)

hogfiddles likes this.
  15. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

No tractor driving pictures this year?

16. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Yea New York is a bit of a jaunt for me

17. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Soooo jealous I missed yet another one... Life gets in the way of my life...
    Maybe next year and happy for you guys that were able to get together!

18. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

This was an exciting trip to say the least! Sunday morning my phone had some technical issues which inevitably lead to me losing the video I was going to post of all the bikes...
    I had been having issues with feeling like when I turn left my rear tire slides to the right, which right before Geoff and I parted ways , lead to me not being able to pull out of a turn and almost slamming into a concrete center divide... After ariving at my aunt's several hours later and camping for the night, the next day when my 14 year old nephew and 10 year old niece got home from school they where asking me a bunch of questions about my bike and while showing them how the speedometer worked and how to replace it I notice the bolt on my left fork was barely on and stripped out! I'm thinking what has been going on is that this caused my wheel to shift enough on turns and making the rear wheel slide a bit. After replacing the bolt and making sure everything was tightened properly I haven't had issues with the tire sliding out!
    After waiting out the worst part of a storm I arrived home safe and sound ( and very exhausted) after about 6 hours....can't wait till the next clinic!!

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  19. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

@smeagol21b Glad you made it home and even happier you figured out the problem! Every little thing is making that bike better and before long, you'll be wondering if you ought to just paint it because that's all that left! Hope to see you next year!

smeagol21b likes this.
  20. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

I've already got it planned on how I'm going to have it painted! Just need to invest in another bike so I can do a full frame off restoration! I'll be sticking with the same color, quartz silver, but with a touch of metallic flake, decals will be painted with a blue with flake and a pearl essence white! But first I need to fix carbs to get rid of that hang idle lol

hogfiddles and dkavanagh like this.