1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Central New York Carburetor Clinic #13 - June 13, 2020

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by hogfiddles, Jan 8, 2020.

1. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Dan,
    Dug out the fender I had stashed away and tried to "start a conversation"with you but your mailbox is full. You'll need to leave the conversations that you don't need and let me know. I'll send a picture of the one I have which is in much better shape then the one on your bike now.

Thanks,
    Tony

2. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Hey Tony, I didn't know about that 'leave' thing. All set now.

3. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Me neither. Starting a conversation with you on the fender.

Tony

4. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Well, as usual, I’m the last to post comments on the carb clinic. Tough to get computer time for things other than work till late June. Unlike my usual run north starting at 3AM on the carb clinic morning, I decided to leave the day before. Initially, the plan was to meet up with Saftie (on Friday) in Cooperstown and do some exploring on two wheels, but that didn’t exactly work out. At any rate, I still made my way up and headed towards Hogfiddles…

pic01-cnycc13.jpg
    Man, look at that sky!

pic02-cnycc13.jpg
    XJ Creepers…

pic03-cnycc13.jpg
    About an hour outside of my destination along Rte 20, I stopped at Kelly’s Deli. great sandwich and a 32oz Jug of NY Pure Maple Syrup for 20 bucks… Sweet! I recommend you enjoy them separately...Unless there is bacon on your sandwich... then yes, Maple Syrup please.

pic04-cnycc13.jpg
    When I arrived, Hogfiddles wasted no time doing the honors of bringing the girls down off the trailer…

5. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

After my initial set-up was done in preparation for the next day, I strapped down my “overnight gear” to the back of the 700, left the Seca, truck and trailer behind and headed off towards Cooperstown. Hogfiddles and I set out together as he wanted to fuel up his 700 but it wasn’t long that he had to turn back… because…

Yet another 700 zipped by us in the oncoming lane (HuntChucks!) and Hogfiddles wanted to be on the grounds to meet him.

I continued on alone…

pic05-cnycc13.jpg
    And found this cool covered bridge… That’s an obnoxious number of bungee cords now that I look at it…

pic06-cnycc13.jpg pic07-cnycc13.jpg pic08-cnycc13.jpg
    I’m always amazed at the beautiful countryside we have here in NY! As the hills and pastures roll past you can’t help but feel like you’re in a painting!

Franz likes this.
  6. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

pic09-cnycc13.jpg
    As Friday came to an end, the clouds rolled in and I decided to call it a day… Tucked the ol’ girl in and relaxed for the remainder of the evening.

The next morning, Saftie came by and we headed back out towards the Carb Clinic… It was COLD!!! Brrrr!

pic10-cnycc13.jpg
    We stopped by a lakeside marina to take a break from the chill and watch some boats come in… That’s Saftie’s Suzuki back there…
    Then, back on the bikes and on to the carb clinic…

pic11-cnycc13.jpg
    Here’s my socially distant workspace… Waiting for wrenching and grilling. The Seca was waiting as well… Paging Dr. Hogfiddles!

pic12-cnycc13.jpg
    Just about ready to Sync and Color Tune… Turns out my sync wasn’t half bad (minor adjustments needed) and the color was good as well.

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  7. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

pic13-cnycc13.jpg
    Not sure if there’s a better combination than grilled skirt steak with a side of XJ Carbs.

pic14-cnycc13.jpg
    Here’s a shot of Hogfiddles & JBurch installing that light kit.

pic15-cnycc13.jpg
    The handsome group… We were very “700 heavy” this year!

At the end of the day, we took our group ride and said our goodbyes. Another great carb clinic for the history books (forum threads?). Much thanks to Hogfiddles for once again hosting and to all who came to make the day as great as it was.

The drive back to Cooperstown felt like it took forever… I was wiped out.
    The next morning, I hit the road again and headed to Lake George. I had the opportunity to see some friends and of course ride Rte 9N towards Ticonderoga.

pic16-cnycc13.jpg
    I ended the day with a burrito, a local IPA and of course a sunset view of one of my favorite places.

8. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

pic17-cnycc13.jpg
    I headed home on Monday... Here's the last pic I took before leaving that morning. Great weekend… Again thanks to all who made this year’s carb clinic great and of course to Hogfiddles who makes it all happen.

Huntchuks likes this.
  9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nuch that is what l call a write up. Great stuff.

10. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Thank you @Franz . Was having an idle issue with the Seca... very cyclical “up and down.” Though the problem was not rectified, Hogfiddles gave me some things to think about and try at home... it was determined that it was not a vacuum leak, tune or mixture...

It might be a butterfly that is not seated correctly. We pulled the carbs at the clinic and now the plan is to split the rack again so that each butterfly can be loosened, seated and retightened.

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Great hopefully that will get it fixed. Some scenery around New York.

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Nice write-up, Nuch! I always look forward to see in the pics you post. I know it’s usually way after, but that’s ok:)

I am so glad for those who were able to come, as it was a little challenging due to this COVID-19 virus this time around......but fortunately, things had re-opened enough that we were able to have the carb clinic this year, and some new people were able to participate along with some ‘regulars’. Too.

Dave Fox
    Host, CNYCC#14
    June 12, 2021

13. Hotcakesman

Hotcakesman Active Member

so cool, thanks for the postings!
    I always say one year I am going to make this trip!
    Have had many long talks with Hogfiddles on the phone
    great guy

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Hotcakes! Haven’t seen you around for awhile....good to see you again:)

15. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Finally got out to ride yesterday; I figured I'd use the fog lights as additional daytime running lights for more visibility, figured it can't hurt to have more visibility. I discovered it is very easy to get some where, shut the bike off and NOT turn the lights off, I did it twice. Didn't run the battery down, was not off the bike that long, definitely a learning curve/new behavior needed. The LED on the switch is not that much of an attention grabber, or at least not to me. Need to do some night riding.

Jim Burch

TheCrazyGnat and kosel like this.
  16. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

This is so awesome. I hope one day to be able to come ride with you all. Great pictures!