1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Changing fork seals not going to well....

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bcroach78, Jun 29, 2008.

1. bcroach78

bcroach78 Member

I have a 1981 xj550 seca. I took the top clip off, the top cap and pulled the spring out. I drained all the oil....Now the allen bolt on the bottom just turns and turns.....I doesnt feel like it is getting looser....any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

You need a long tool to hold the piece that the allen bolt screws in to. You can make one from a couple of long socket extensions and an inverted sparkplug socket. Like this:

[​IMG]

3. bcroach78

bcroach78 Member

What size socket extensions?

4. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Since you have the cap out you can run a tape measure down inside the fork to it.

5. bcroach78

bcroach78 Member

Not length...1/4 socket extensions?

6. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

PM sent.

3/8" extensions to others reading.

7. bcroach78

bcroach78 Member

I have about 15" of extinsions going down into the fork, but its not do anything.....

8. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

There's a hex socket down at the bottom that you need to insert your tool into. This will hold it while you undo the allen bolt from the other end.

9. christian699

christian699 New Member

Dunno if this helps but....
    I had the same problem on my 1980 Maxim.
    Put the spring back in and held it sideways against the rail post of my deck and then used the allen wrench on the bottom. Little awkward, bu it worked. Pressure on the spring held the piece at the bottom.
    Hope it helps.

10. redcorfe

redcorfe Member

I used 12mm studding 2x19mm A/F nuts tighten up against each other at both ends - dropped the studding down the folk until it registered - held a spanner at the other end and used an allen key with tommy bar to release the component.

Worked just fine.

11. bcroach78

bcroach78 Member

I appreciate all the help. The tool you told me to make gamaru worked (I just had to put it in the right way). Getting the old seals out sucked...Now getting the new ones in is a b**** too. Should be done here in a day or two.
    ***Edited by Robert, Mind the language please! Thanks!***

12. dallaspetree

dallaspetree New Member

I have an '82 XJ750J Maxim and I am having the same problem. I will try these suggestions (tool and pressure) and post back if I get anywhere with it. My feeling is that the old springs are not giving enough pressure on whatever part is down inside there, and that allows the components attached to that bolt on the bottom of the fork to slip.
    After a little wrenching on the forks I confirmed that the socket and 3/8" extensions would do the trick. If you take the rubber out of the spark plug adapter (if there is any) and sticking the socket extension in reverse through that spark plug adapter it would create a great tool for catching the internals and allowing you to release the bolt on the bottom of the fork. You will need to put the upside-down spark plug adaptor down into the fork. I do not have those 3/8" extensions, so I stuck a round wooden broom handle down inside my fork. That created enough grip on those internal components and I was able to release a bolt on the bottom of one of my forks. The other fork was not as easy-going. I will get some 3/8" adaptors from a friend and see if we can't wrench the other bolt free.

I have a bad feeling that I may have stripped the bolt/internal connection on that other fork from trying so hard to free it (I was trying everything I could think of before finding this forum). Worst case, I think I may have to take it in somewhere and have them drill out the old bolt, or whatever it takes to get it out. I am sure that I can order new (or find old) parts somewhere to correct my problems on that other fork if I have to go that route. As of now, I have the fork standing up-right with some WD-40 in the bottom. Perhaps that will help loosen up that bolt.

Anyone have any idea other than drilling out that bolt? This is pretty frustrating! --again, I will re-post if i figure this out. Good forum by the way! Saved me 1/2 of a headache!

13. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Installing the new seals should be easy: use a socket of the appropriate diameter to fit against the seal, as close to the OD as possible without being bigger, and gently tap into place. Use NEW spring clips (per the factory book.) Use the same procedure for the dust seals.

Generously lube the new seals with clean fork oil and carefully slide the forks in.

14. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

Can anyone post a cutaway of this and what this tool does please? My ability to imagine what's going on inside has been severely depleated by lack of sleep, and I'm going to need to change my fork seals.. THis sounds like a total nightmare, and I can't figure out why you'd want to put the plug socket on the tool inverted?

15. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

When installing the new seal, I slide it over the tube and get it started in the fork. Then I slip the OLD seal over the top to help keep from buggering up the new one and then a piece of 1 1/4" PVC works great to gently tap the seal down into the fork. Get it seated and then slip the old seal back off and install the retaining clip.

And THANKS Gamaru for the spark plug socket tip!
    I made a tool from a piece of pipe and bolt, but the spark plug socket and extensions are MUCH more transportable to carb clinics!

16. dallaspetree

dallaspetree New Member

The job really isn't that bad. A little frustrating if you dont do your research, or have not done it before. I will post pictures tomorrow. The inverted 5/8" spark plug socket will fit perfectly to the components inside the lower tube and hold them in place so you can unscrew the bolt on the bottom of the fork. This allows you to remove the stanchion, easily remove the fork seal, and clean out the lower fork. I have an xj750j and it's the same as the 650.

17. BlackMax

BlackMax Member

I chose to go with circlips on my forks They work well....

18. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

Thanks Dallas. What's 5/8 in mm ;)

19. dallaspetree

dallaspetree New Member

5/8" = 15.8750mm per the internet. I don't know if the size of the socket matters, because you are using the opposite end, not the 5/8" that would normally grab the spark plug. That socket fits inside my fork tube and fit the internal connection to my lower fork parts PERFECTLY. What you need is a socket with a large hex pattern on the outside. Normal sockets are smooth, but she spark plug socket has a hex pattern on it.

20. NigeW

NigeW Member

I had to make a tool to reach inside the fork leg and fit inside the retaining tube. This was done by welding the correct size nut to a bolt which I could then put a socket on (on the end of a long extension bar) to get sufficient purchase. I also found that I had to secure this at ground level by standing on a T-bar on the end of all this (you could hold it in a vice) whilst I impacted a (cut-down) allen key at the allen bolt end. Not easy, but straightforward when you've done it a few times - and you probably will. I found I had to do the same thing (though to a different size) when it came to dismantling GPZ600 forks too.

I have added a photo here of my special XJ fork dismantling tool kit!
    The diameter of the bolt head is 19mm across flats.