1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Checking my supplies before starting a new project.....

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by BallAquatics, Dec 11, 2022.

1. BallAquatics

BallAquatics Active Member

2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I think you have your dysfunction remedy supplies in switched positions. But that is an accurate engineering algorithm otherwise.

3. BallAquatics

Well, it looks like it's going to be a bit cold to ride around here for the next few weeks so I ordered up some parts for the '82 650 Turbo.

Purchased kits to rebuild both calipers and the master cylinder for the front brakes. Got the stuff from Brakecrafters, ( https://www.brakecrafters.com/ ), and since they are just down the road, it showed up the very next day. Also ordered carb rebuild kits along with the o-ring kits, and the butterfly shaft seals from Brian Dallner at BD Designs, ( http://www.bdesigns.ca/ ).

For having duel disks on the front, the brakes on this thing leave something to be desired. I'm hoping a total rebuild will improve them.

When you folks do a valve adjust, where do you get your shims? Need to order a valve cover gasket and the hold down tool before I start in on the valves and though I should also get a line on the shims.

[​IMG]

Timbox likes this.
  4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

5. Fuller56

That is a nice, clean, well preserved Turbo. Had it long? If you have not worked on Turbo carbs before you are going to have fun. There is a LOT of stuff to remove and fuss with to get to them. If there is no issue with the carbs I would recommend not doing them just for the fun of it. That is the sort of preventive maintenance that causes other issues. Good luck and have fun.

6. BallAquatics

Thanks guys, picked it up on craig's list a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, someone has already monkeyed around with the carbs and it's a hard starter and doesn't idle well. Runs like a top out on the road though. I'm hoping I can clean out the pilot jets and get it sorted. Going to put in fresh plugs and check the valves before getting into the carbs too heavy.

7. Melnic

Melnic Active Member

I have been in the middle of reworking things on an XJ650.
    mikesxs.net and xj4ever.com will have shims and tool
    both ship fast and I have so far had good experiences with both. Len at xj4ever.com will give you personal assistance on your purchases.

8. Fuller56

After you get the valves done and a running sync on the carbs done I would try running several doses of Seafoam thru before removing the carbs to get into them. I expect lots of blow back on that idea from folks here but there is A LOT of stuff to remove and mess with on the Turbos to get the carbs off. The Seafoam is relatively inexpensive and non-invasive for an otherwise good running bike. There is, in my opinion, just too much stuff to screw up removing and messing with to not try the Seafoam.

9. BallAquatics

Thanks for the input guys. Wish I had known about Len at xj4ever.com before ordering parts elsewhere. I'll definitely consider him the next time a purchase comes along.

I'll certainly give the seafoam a try. Not a big fan of additives, but if it's just a blockage in the pilots might be just the ticket, and like you say, can't really do any harm.

I've got several months before the weather gets nice around here, so plenty of time to get her running right.