1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Chicago Area - Avoid Mechanic Gary Mares!!!!

Discussion in 'Central US and Canada' started by Zr1man, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Zr1man

Zr1man New Member

:evil:

Hi all

Just wanted to post/vent to warn you all based on my experience of the past 6 months!

www.marescycle.com

I provided my bike to Mares for upgrades on 9/17/2009. Mares had my 82 XJ 750 Seca for 10 months. He was swapping out gauges, a headlight, and directional lights, making it more modern. He approved the parts by email or phone, and when I dropped off the bike, he reviewed the parts. He had the bike for months, but as it was winter, I wasn't that upset. Couldn't ride anyway. Thought he was at least working on it though! I started to seek return of the Bike in March getting concerned, and Mares made multiple/continual promises over 3 months to do so, which he never met. Claimed various calamities that caused delays. From early June to end of July, he did not return email or calls. Had to call Police to get him to answer me. He denied me the use of my Bike for at least 4.5 months. This job was beyond his knowledge, and for whatever reason, he could not complete it, and in fact did more damage. He scratched newly painted surfaces all over the bike. I had spent many hours cleaning, sanding, and painting many surfaces. Except for the headlight, all other lights on the bike didn't work, and they did when he received the bike. He didn't properly drain and prep the Bike for storage, and the carbs became varnished. When I made a BBB complaint, he alleged for the first time that the reason it was so long was that I bought the wrong parts. Funny, he never claimed that for the previous 9 months while he worked on it and continuously promised it would be ready "soon"!
    Likes to portray his customers as unreasonable and the source of his poor performance. He will claim me as unreasonable customer. You can see that this is his common statement about customers at Google. His business is now closed, presumably as all his customers, like me, are all unreasonable! He will have a different set of facts in his responses to reviews, but I have proof from his own hand by way of email messages and voicemails showing I am telling the truth here. I also have an estimate from another shop that lists the inept work as the cause of more repairs, and a copy of the BBB complaint and his responses. You can read them and judge for yourself. You can read from his rants against customers that he seems a bit "off". He may be moving to another state, or join another shop, so be careful who works on your bike in the area. AVOID HIM, if you want competent, timely motorcycle repairs!!

At this point, the bike needs so much electrical work, and I am not skilled in that area, that it is not worth it to repair.
    I will be posting it for sale for a cheap price, and hopefully someone with the skill and patience can get an otherwise really nice bike.

IF ANYONE READING THIS HAS BEEN AFFECTED BY THIS SHOP LIKE OTHERS, PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE ILLINOIS ATTORNEY GENERAL AT: http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.g...ers/index.html IT IS EASY AND FREE TO FILE THE COMPLAINT. THE MORE PEOPLE THAT COMPLAIN, THE MORE THAT THE AG WILL TAKE NOTICE, AND PREVENT MR. MARES FROM COMMITTING THE SAME ACTS AGAINST OTHERS BY DENYING HIM A BUSINESS LICENSE AND MAY EVEN FILE A CLAIM SEEKING RESTITUTION. THERE ARE AT LEAST 2 COMPLAINTS AS OF THIS WRITING. THERE IS STRENGTH IN NUMBERS!