1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Clamp on Highway pegs slipping - problem solved

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bill, Nov 5, 2008.

1. bill

bill Active Member

I replaced my highway pegs with an engine guard and clamp on pegs. I had a bike a long time ago with that setup and had no issues.

My new pegs like to rotate on the motor guard bar. Maybe I'm not getting them tight enough but I don't want to snap the bolt either.

Since it's chrome on chrome I can see it slipping so I am thinking of putting some rubber on them.

Any suggestions?

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Re: Clamp on Highway pegs slipping

Rubber is what I'd do.

Got any old inner tubes laying around?

3. rdbhere2

rdbhere2 Member

I dont know anyone who has had any luck with clamp on pegs staying where you mount them, including myself.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Try a chunk of that webby rubber non-skid shelf liner stuff. This might explain why the one set of engine guards I got off eBay have a couple small holes in each...

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

clean first then red loctite between the parts, remove with heat

6. bill

bill Active Member

Thanks Guys I have a rubber mat to hold stuff when you use a router and such. It is a thicker version of the shelf stuff - think I have some of that too.

I used them on my 81 XS850 with no problems so it should work.

Polock will the loctite hold with smooth chrome to chrome? My problem is they "rotate" they don't move up/down the bar.

Fitz that is another Idea I considered - tapping a screw in to stop the rotation. These are 1 inch bars so if I drill and mount the pegs through them I'm afraid it will weaken them.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i think it would, but if it doesn't a 1/8 hole and a pop rivet will
    also thought about 400 sand paper folded for grit on both sides, but that might mess up the chrome

8. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch Member

This is exactly what drummers do when the clamps on our rack systems slip. It doesn't mar up the chrome or tear apart like a lot of other things would (tape, old rags, sponges, etc), but it does leave a very compressed piece of rubber behind that can be a real pain to get off when reconfiguring the rack....

Considering the weight that some of those rack clamps need to support, I wouldn't expect you to have a problem with your highway pegs slipping if you tighten them down properly.

I'd suggest using a very thin walled inner tube though, otherwise you'll be right back where you are now. You just want enough of it to help grip and not end up losing the grip by compressing the rubber from a piece that's too thick.

If this idea still doesn't work, let me know and we'll see if we can add some kind of a "Memory Lock" to help further reduce the rotation.

9. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I don't like that idea. The case guards on my Venture are all full of holes from the PO doing this. That forced me to put my pegs on the same place he had his to hide the holes. It didn't help that he used drywall screws.

I had another thought too. You don't necessarily need a sticky material, just something to take up a bit of the gap. You might try a bead of RTV, clamp gently until it sets then tighten.

10. jswag5

jswag5 Member

i have never had any problems with my pegs slipping, but when i put them on i made sure i knew where i wanted them, and put a thin piece of doubled over 2000 grit wet dry sandpaper in between the clamps and bars.

11. bill

bill Active Member

Update - Last night when I tightened the clamp the best I could the bolt actually hit the bolt that hinges the peg and bent it, ruining it and the attachment bolt. So tomorrow I need to replace those. Luckily I have only been working with one peg.

This brings up a question - being universal they came with clamps for 1 inch and 1.25 inch tubing. They also have these stepped washers (pyramid looking) to help with slipping. I wonder if the bolt is too long for the 1 inch bars since it is made for up to 1.25 inch? Should I install with both clamps? They didn't come with any instructions. Alternately I can get a shorter bolt.

I'm thinking I just might not be getting it tight enough because the bolt bottoms out. Thoughts?

Tonight I tried thin rubber from a jar opener - still slips ( I don't have any inner tube). What if I bought a bike tube patch kit and used the rubber? Alternately I can buy a bike tube. Also tried thicker rubber/foam that didn't work.

I thought about sandpaper but was afraid with it doubled it would slip. I can give it a try.

Carl I'm a bit reluctant to drill also so it will be my last resort for sure! The RTV may be another thing that will work. I'm open to all ideas.

Thanks everyone!

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Those washer stacks are the problem.
    There's not enough surface to surface contact to prevent them from slipping.

Add a strip of inner tube to get compressed between the washers and the pipe.
    The inner tube will put the brakes on the washers slipping.

13. bill

bill Active Member

I thought the edges were supposed to dig in to prevent slipping but you are right Rick they do only have edge contact. That is why I though a shorter bolt would help so I could tighten it properly. As it stands it bottoms out before that happens.

I have to get new bolts so I'm going to get some shorter ones and some rubber. I never thought bolting these things on would be such a pain, Carb cleaning was easier :D

14. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Sometimes it's the little easy jobs that give us the gray hair.

15. bill

bill Active Member

Well I have gray hair and a lot less of it these days.

Problem SOLVED!

It was the longer bolts. I bought a bunch of stuff, rubber double back tape etc. But in the end a shorter bolt allowed me to tighten if properly since it did not bottom out. Holds just fine now.

Thanks for all the suggestions as always.

On a side note I think I have seen folks edit their post's subject but don't see how that is done.

Edit - cool I figured it out - edit the subject in your first post

16. Grant Baker

Grant Baker New Member

You've got it mate. Tried Rubber, tape of different kinds, made steel plate to get more clamp pressure but the pegs moved easily. Then i use a doubled over 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper as you suggested. I can bend the engine bars now. Problem Solved Thanks