1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cleaning Up A old Rusty Tank

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by gang3, Oct 10, 2014.

1. gang3

gang3 Member

Thought I would share a method i used to help restore a old gas tank I purchased as a back up for my plan to repaint / refinish my bike tank this winter.

So I bought a Yamaha gas tank off of my local craigslist, I had already decided that this winter I was going to repaint my bike, I want a different look than the typical satin black and chrome that has and still is very popular. (That is my bike now.)

So I got the tank pretty cheap 40.00 but it has alot of rust in and out, It looks alot like my stock tank. But the guy selling it said all he knows is its a Yamaha. The emblems are already gone, But will have to patch up the spots on each side where they used to be.

The big concern is getting out the rust, And judging from just looking inside there is rust. And shaking the tank you can hear a bunch of stuff rattling around in there. IMG_20141010_150115_679.jpg

Next thing trying to remove this rust so I can put a liner kit into the tank.

I decided I would try to suck it out with my shop vac. Turns out my hose from my shop vac just fit into the fill hole of the tank. So I started sucking and shaking the tank at the same time. This worked pretty good but still alot of stuff rattling around so next I put a hose into the petcock opening, I hooked that to my compressor air hose. And while running the compressor air through I vacuumed out through the top at the same time. DSCN0205.JPG DSCN0206.JPG That got just about everything.
    But you could still hear more shaking around in there.

So next i used a flexible magnet like you use to recover things you drop while working on cars.
    IMG_20141010_150115_679.jpg DSCN0207.JPG DSCN0205.JPG DSCN0206.JPG
    And this really got results i cannot upload any more pics on this thread. so I guess I will try to Finnish showing you by opening another if I can.