1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cleaning up old Tank part Two

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by gang3, Oct 10, 2014.

1. gang3

gang3 Member

Well we will see if this thread gets to stay. I never took pics of patching up the tank where the emblems were
    I forgot to take some before pics of that part. But it was a easy process of just using bondo.

Now I`m finishing up getting out the remainder of rust flakes inside.
    Like I stated earlier I using a flexible magnet . IMG_20141004_125428_919.jpg this is working really good to get the final little chunks of rust out.

IMG_20141004_125428_919.jpg IMG_20141004_125442_385.jpg

And look what I got out of there after first using a shop vac.

IMG_20141004_124801_783.jpg IMG_20141004_125026_599.jpg And here is the amount just with the magnet alone

IMG_20141004_125518_256.jpg Thats about as far as I have got but I will up date when I rinse out the tank ,And do the liner kit. hope this helps some people solve this common problem of rusty tanks. By for now

2. bullheimer

bullheimer Member

i picked up a couple handfuls of chipped rock out of my driveway and, after removing the petcock, dumped them in. Got some acetone and shook it all around until i was almost out of acetone. not much will stay in there due to the cap and petcock being gone. wear rubber gloves. it is amazing how much comes out of there. i put in maybe a cup at a time and was good for about six good shakings. i tried mineral spirits and it came out clean. i put the last of my acetone in there after that and it came out rusty again. alittle but not much, ie mineral spirits sucks. just us acetone. got to have rocks. and chipped rocks are sharp as hell and really got about all the rust, and certainly the flaking part out. i then put the plastic sealer in. easy peasy. i think the magnet might be a good starting point tho. gets the bigger pieces out.